SolarWinds TraceView Review

We like how it provides visibility into the requests that flow through our SOA applications.

What is most valuable?

With minimal effort on our part, TraceView provides extraordinary visibility into the requests that flow through our SOA applications. The causes of performance issues and bottlenecks have become trivial to find.

How has it helped my organization?

Product reliability has been improved, allowing more time to be spent on features as opposed to maintenance/fires.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the ability to use other internal instrumented applications as filters in the overview/aggregation screen.

I've used it for two years.

We did not encounter any issues with deployment. With minimal effort we were able to automate all deployment via Puppet and use APIs for all administrative interactions for tasks, such as registering new apps and hosts.

The product has been very stable for us.

We haven't had any issues scaling up as the product supports our hundreds of applications.

Customer service has been excellent and answers are concise and prompt.

Technical support has been amazing, bugs are quickly fixed in weeks or less depending on the severity, many feature requests have been accepted and implemented in the short term.

Our in-house similar solution was dropped in favor of an external vendor. The product is not driving our revenue, so it was considered a better choice to pay a recurring fee and have all developers creating features for our customers.

The product is not overly complicated and consists of a few packages (eg, .rpms) to install along with a Java command line option for each application. The on-host configuration is flexible enough for automated environments to take control as necessary.

We implemented it with our in-house team.

We did not calculate an ROI.

Pricing and licensing seem on par for the product space.

New Relic was also examined.

What other advice do I have?

The products in this space are targeted at slightly different niches. TraceView, for example, is aimed for shops with a large SOA-style footprint with many small interconnected apps. Be sure to know what you need when shopping around.