SolarWinds Virtualization Manager Review

We ran it on a single Hyper-V virtual machine without any issues but the reporting could be improved upon.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Solarwinds Virtualization Manager was it's ability to monitor/measure VM level IOPS which allowed us to do manual storage tiering with our Dell EqualLogic SAN's.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to leverage this product for Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) free space monitoring and alerting based on customized thresholds which we were unable to do before without the use of custom PowerShell scripts. It also allows for more granular VM level monitoring that can be beneficial, i.e. Disk level metrics (IOPS, Read/Write Mbps, Queue Depth), Network level metrics (Bandwidth In/out, errors/discards), etc. This can be especially useful if you're looking to put in a Tiered Storage solution in the future or looking to implement Storage and/or Network QoS.

What is most valuable?

The ability to see VM-level IOPS data without the use of an agent is the most valuable feature in my opinion. Some of the monitoring capabilities, including Hyper-V CSV Free Space (%) monitoring and disk latency/read/write speeds come in handy, as well. Also, the Chargeback and Showback features are a nice touch. The dashboards are pretty nifty if you're looking for a quick overview of different information as they are all customizable. The Capacity Planner and VM Sprawl information can also come in handy when used properly.

What needs improvement?

The UI is a little cumbersome at first, but the more you use it and get accustomed to it, the simpler it becomes. It does leave a bit to be desired though.

I believe the reporting could be improved upon and some of the customization options could be simpler. The creation of custom reports and queries can be a bit challenging at first and can take some time to grasp. Once you get the hang of it, you will see the benefit and value add behind building custom reports.

No, the only issue we encountered was due to a bug in which we did not have the latest HotFix from SolarWinds installed. Once we installed the HotFix, we were good to go. Solarwinds is always quick to develop hotfixes and new releases for most of their products, especially compared to some other older companies in the same realm.

No, we ran this on a single Hyper-V virtual machine without any issues. It should scale across multiple sites without any issues.

SolarWinds customer service has always been excellent and extremely helpful. One of the better custom service/technical support departments out there.

We always received top notch technical support with this SolarWinds product along with the others. The engineers were very helpful and would even go the extra mile to help fine tune the settings and product if requested.

We did not use a vendor to implement the product and would not recommend it, unless you are a very small shop or do not have any staff with the technical expertise to implement this product.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re looking to get a lot more insight into your virtualization environment and more than just basic information, SolarWinds Virtualization Manager is the choice you should make. You will be able to see Chargeback, Showback, VM Sprawl, Snapshot Usage, and VM sizing recommendations along with customizable dashboards, alerting, and reporting. Not only that, you will be able to utilize the Capacity Planning feature to always stay proactive with your virtualization environment.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Infrastructure Architect at a non-tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

How are you still liking this product? Do you use it for storage and network as well?

11 February 16
A.J. DiLorenzoReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately, I have not used this product in about 2 years as I moved on from the job where I was using it at. However, it can be used for both Storage and Network data as well without any additional setup/configuration. At the time, we also had Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor and Solarwinds Storage Manager, so we used both those products at times too.

13 February 16