SolarWinds Virtualization Manager Review

Adhoc reporting takes time to get used to, but our monitoring and management is much more efficient.

Valuable Features

Alerting expands, and makes, our monitoring and management much more efficient. Also, the ability to see into our virtual world quickly and easily is a great benefit. Dashboards are customizable providing at a glance information that’s extremely helpful.

Improvements to My Organization

From an IT perspective, it makes admin work much more efficient since we can go to one tool for a good percentage of the data needed on a day to day basis for monitoring and report on that data over time.

Room for Improvement

Adhoc reporting takes time to get used to – due mainly to the fact that the team I am on are all admins, and not necessarily accustomed to query reporting in the manner utilized by Solarwinds Virtualization Manager.

Use of Solution

I've used it for about a year, and we use the product daily for monitoring our systems. It integrates with Network Performance Manager so we can monitor physical and virtual environments through one tool. Very efficient!

The certificates didn't work as described, and we needed an update to the product, but still experience pop-ups. We are now, at least, one update behind so it may be that we just need to install the latest update.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I think it's decent although a team mate generally makes the support calls.

In general, the techs are knowledgeable and helpful. There's also a lot of information available on the Solarwinds, and Thwack websites.

No previous solution was being used.

It was straightforward. We already own a couple of products so that makes installing easier, but there were a few items that we sort of tried and had to back track, like the integration with NPM, but we got it eventually, and I don't recall the exact issue.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Just talk to your account manager, and make sure you are getting the right level of licensing to cover your needs, based on sockets.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at VMware Operations Manager, which we found to be cumbersome to install and configure, although we didn’t enlist VMware for assistance.

Other Advice

Take the time to familiarize yourself with the available options - view some video's from the website, and read some documents. It's worth the time!

3 Comments
Infrastructure Architect at a non-tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

How are you still liking this product? Do you use it for storage and network as well?

11 February 16
KathyCReal UserTOP 20

We like this product alot. Virtualization Manager provides decent storage information relating to virtual machines but basic Network connection information. We use Network Performance Monitor which provides more detailed Network information.

11 February 16
Jeremy MayfieldReal UserTOP 20LEADERBOARD

Good post. I have found several efficiencies by using this product. I would agree it takes some time to get used to but it pays off to dive in and understand the principles of Adhoc reporting. Once you have it set up it makes the simple tasks even easier.

05 July 17