SolarWinds Web Help Desk Review

Has good search functionalities but the interface feels clunky

What is our primary use case?

We use this for our ticketing system, both in IT as well as the data team. The data team provides application support. It's used in HR and by Facilities. It's used for tickets for purchases. It's used not just in IT, but other departments too for tracking tickets.

What is most valuable?

It has a pretty good search function. If you do the advanced search, you can basically search for anything in any field. If I do a search on the "request" field, that will search the whole body of the ticket so I just put in some search terms of something I think is in the ticket. By doing that, I can usually find the ticket that I'm looking for.

What needs improvement?

The interface feels clunky to me compared to some other systems that I've used. I used ManageEngine Service Desk prior to this at my previous job and that had stuff like categories that we use that I don't see in SolarWinds. It was a little more intuitive to use as far as understanding how to respond in the ticket and get an email to go to the user, things like that. This is less intuitive as far as understanding how to use the interface.

It could be more intuitive, it doesn't have as many features has either Service Desk did or ServiceNow, which I used prior to Service Desk.

It doesn't have a way to put PCs into it. In both ServiceNow and Service Desk, you can have your PCs in it and then tie that to the user or the ticket. As far as I know, SolarWinds doesn't even have that functionality, we don't have any PCs in it.

I've been using SolarWinds since I've been at my organization, which is about two years. The organization has had it longer.

We use the most recent version that we run ourselves on our server, not a cloud or hosted version.

It's fairly stable, sometimes late in the day it will stop responding and I have to restart the server, but that's not a frequent occurrence. I have had to do that a couple of times in the past month.

It seems pretty scalable to me. We're not a huge organization, we only have 700 some employees, but it seems to be able to handle quite a few tickets.

I haven't really dealt with technical support, that's dealt with more by my coworker who is more expert on this.

They charge by the technician. It costs $117 per technician per year. I think that's cheaper than Service Desk or ServiceNow.

I don't think there are any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would to definitely look at the interface and make sure that you like the interface. I don't really like the interface compared to Service Desk, it was jarring to switch from Service Desk to Web Help Desk when I changed positions. Now I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore, but I really did not like it when I first started using it. You should definitely look at the interface and make sure that you like the interface.

In the next release, I would like to see categories and an improved UI. I don't know if it provides an interface for end-users or not, if it does, we don't use that. It would be nice for it to have a good interface for end-users, we just have people send emails that create tickets which is what we also did with Service Desk at my last job. I think having a web interface for the user to submit a ticket is a nice idea.

I would rate SolarWinds Web Help Desk a six out of ten. Mainly because of the interface and some of the functionality that it doesn't have that we had in the other solutions I tried.

More SolarWinds Web Help Desk reviews from users
...who compared it with ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, ManageEngine, Atlassian and others in Help Desk Software. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.