SolidFire Review

Enables us to accommodate extreme needs, like burst IOPS, and to solve the "noisy neighbor" problem

What is most valuable?

• Being able to provide multi-tenant applications
  • Being able to provide quality of service as promised
  • Being able to accommodate extreme needs, like burst IOPS
  • Finally, being able to solve the "noisy neighbor" problem

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to migrate some applications from spinning media to SolidFire, and we were having "noisy neighbor" problems before.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with the cloud, number one. Being able to spin SolidFire in the cloud. The hybrid cloud vision means that you should be able to run your application anywhere, on-prem or off-prem, so any product should meet that.

It's quite stable. We had some issues. Luckily, we had a "phone home" thing. But it's pretty stable. I think it was a disk failure early on, and it was catching the disk failure a little late. But then they had this upgrade and they fixed it. It was a one-time thing.

The product is horizontally scalable, which is very good, which is what you need these days.

They're very knowledgeable. They provided us good documentation.

Our biggest challenge was QoS - not getting guaranteed IOPS at the volume level.

It was straightforward, because we were given a VM, and that was doing the installation, so it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Our use case is to provide quality of service and guaranteed IOPS.

Replication is okay, meaning they do two copies, they are routing two copies. We're not going more than that, because of the cost. I'm satisfied.

The first and foremost criteria when selecting a vendor is that the vendor should have a unique niche. Number two, they should know what they're doing, meaning technical support. Whether it comes to technical support or e-sales. If they're not able to answer my questions on time, then it's a problem. The third is being able to integrate with my existing environment.

To a colleague researching a similar solution, I would say look for a stable company and look for a company that has good backing. Look for a good price versus performance ratio.

More SolidFire reviews from users
...who work at a Retailer
...who compared it with NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS)
Learn what your peers think about SolidFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.