SonarQube Review

Security hotspot feature identifies where your code is prone to have security issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it to check the code quality, and the code review to find out the vulnerabilities about the central codes like simplifications and codes. We also use it for security management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security hotspot feature that identifies where your code is prone to have security issues.

It also gives you a very good highlight of what's changed, and what has to be changed in the future.

Apart from that, there are many other good features as it's a code analytics platform. It also has a dashboard reporting feature, which is very good. I also like the ease of its integration with Jenkins.

Another valuable feature is the time snapshot that it provides for the code. It provides the code quality, the lagging, and the training features like what already has gone wrong and what is likely to go wrong. It's a very good feature for a project to have a dashboard where the users can find everything about their project at a single glance.

What needs improvement?

There are various standards that are followed. Awareness is a must.

Product awareness is something that I would recommend. If the users are not aware of how to use the product, they won't understand the features.

I have been using SonarQube for three years.

It is quite stable. There are no kind of issues that we face on SonarQube. It's just about the awareness where the users are not aware of a feature and that's where we need to jump in and explain some of the features about how it works.

It's definitely easy to scale.

We do contact them based on the project team requirement. We contact them if they have to set up any specific kind of portfolio application and such application et cetera, internal.

Their support is good. They respond quickly. The response time is very good. They answer the queries within 24 to 48 hours. That's a plus for them. It's a very costly product, so we use the enterprise-level product. It does consume a lot of license cost for that.

We used Fortify, it is also another tool for static code analysis. The security team used to use that, but not in our team because ours was a newly assembled team for the work.

The initial setup is simple. It's basically an orchestration platform on which I manage around 400 SonarQube incentives.

It's a mass production environment. I'm currently managing around 400 plus teams who are using the product. We are trying to migrate it onto Kubernetes.

The setup takes around five to ten minutes as I have created automation.

It requires maintenance on the platform side, but not on the SonarQube side. Because there is a DB cleanup automatically inbuilt in Sonar, it does not require much to maintain within SonarQube itself.

It eats up a lot of memory. For a stack it's around 2.5GB. We use it on a daily basis.

Everything is included in the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Awareness about how to use the product is important. It's a very good product for developers because it gives you timely notifications about where the tool has gone wrong or what could go wrong in the future. That's popular for developers. It's very good for the stats about the product for architects

The metrics are how the budgeting should be done et cetera. These are the things that they can find out from the dashboard based on the lines of codes.

In the next release, I would like to have notifications because now, it is a bit difficult. I think that's a feature which we could add there and it would benefit the users as well. For every full request, they should be able to see their bugs or vulnerability directly on the surface.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

7.9
More SonarQube reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Fortify Application Defender
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.