SonarQube Review

Open-source with great extensions and great for identifying bugs

What is our primary use case?

We use the product in our pipeline. We primarily use it for development testing tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We can see what's being flagged by whatever requirements in the environment that we're going to. SonarCube has these rules that you set up. You can set the rules and adjust them. It allows us to either be at 80% or whatever the case may be. If you set up these conditions that can tighten down the developer's coding.

What is most valuable?

It's convenient due to the fact that it's open-source.

We're able to identify bugs and those kinds of things before we actually push anything into a staging or production area. It helps our developers work more efficiently as we can identify things in a code prior to it being pushed to where it needs to go. It's a great little loop. You see this, fix it, take it back. Versus, putting something into an environment and then everything is all broken. It's a good development test tool.

Nowadays you can add extensions, similar to what you can do with the Jenkins tool, the CICB tool, the build tool. Jenkins can have a lot of plugins that interface with a lot of vendors or it can do a lot of things. Just like Google Chrome where you can bring in an extension, you can do the same here. In SonarQube, you can add something by just adding an extension that you may have to pay extra for, However, that add-on has additional functionality that the base software may not necessarily have in its core.

For example, Fortify has some kind of special capability that they have for checking and SonarQube has created an extension that allows the Fortify extensions. Right now, I have Fortify, however, it's in this product at a very modular level.

What needs improvement?

The solution is still maturing a bit.

You may need to purchase add-ons to get the useability you desire.

We've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The solution is open-source. It's free to use.

What other advice do I have?

Not everybody uses SonarQube. However, if they do use SonarQube and they're trying to look for functionality, then an extension into SonarQube is the way to go. We, for example, love how we can have Fortify functionality via this product. I can't speak for all the other shops, right. That's just our workflow.

I'd rate the solution at a perfect ten out of ten. For what it does as far as static code analysis, it's pretty good.

More SonarQube reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Fortify Application Defender
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.