Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle Review

Has brought open-source intelligence and policy enforcement across our software development life cycle for almost all of our applications

What is our primary use case?

We have a few applications that we're developing that use several different languages. The first ones we did were Python and Yum Repository applications. Recently we've started scanning C and C++ applications that use Conan Package Manager. We will soon start doing node applications with NPM. Our use case is that we primarily rely on the IQ server to ensure we don't have open source dependencies in our applications that have security vulnerabilities, and to ensure that they're not using licenses our general counsel wants us to avoid using.

How has it helped my organization?

When I started to install the Nexus products and started to integrate them into our development cycle, it helped us construct or fill out our development process, in general. The build stages are a good template for us to help establish a structure that we could build our whole continuous integration and development process around. Now our git repos are tagged for different build stages that align with the Nexus Lifecycle build stages.

Going to the Nexus product encouraged me to look for a package manager solution for our C and C++ development. My customer success engineer, Derek, recommended that we go to one that Sonatype was considering integrating with the product, which was called Conan Package Manager. I started doing research with Conan and realized how beneficial it would be for our C and C++ development cycle. Transitioning to that has really changed our whole C and C++ development. It was because we needed to have Nexus scanning for our C applications and I needed Conan to do that.

It's because of Conan that we've reduced our build timelines from weeks because we have so many architectures that we build for. After we figured out how to use it, we can build everything with only a couple of commands. Now, it's a really integrated process for our C and C++ applications, from development to the build pipelines to the IQ scanning, and the Nexus Repository manager repositories that we're using for building and packaging. It's been a fun process.

In terms of the data quality, everything has been really good for our Python and our Yum repositories. I know that they are still building their capability for the Conan repositories, the C dependencies. Right now, what Derek has told me, is that Conan application are analyzed with what they call Low Quality Assessment, or LQA. Essentially, any package that has identified vulnerabilities will show up, otherwise, there's not much information on the package. So scanning for Conan is not as good as Python right now, but I know they're working on higher quality data for Conan packages.

Comparing LQA in Conan to something like the higher quality data available in Python repositories does show a difference. For example, Nexus IQ identified a vulnerability in a Python package that we don't use, but it's a transitive dependency in four packages that we do use. We discovered the root vulnerability causing the problem in our four packages with the higher quality data, but we may not have been to do that as easily with a vulnerability identified in multiple C packages without the higher quality data. I'm not sure.

Nexus will block undesirable open source components from entering our development life cycle. We've agreed on the governance of our policies for blocking builds automatically and we've set a date, for example, to start failing builds automatically on July 15.

It integrates very well with our existing DevOps tools. The Azure DevOps Nexus IQ plugin was really easy. All we did was go to our DevOps portal, go to the add-ins, and then search the list for Nexus. We just clicked on it and it installed in DevOps. There are a couple of help pages on Sonatype's webpage, and I send those to the developers, they add the IQ plugin to the build pipeline and it just works. It's really nice also because the IQ plugin for DevOps gets updated before I can even go check on it. They've released two updates since we installed it. Every time I hear from Derek that they've updated the IQ plugin, I go to the IQ plugin page on our DevOps server, and it's already been updated. It's totally seamless for us.

It has brought open-source intelligence and policy enforcement across our software development life cycle for almost all of our applications. We're still integrating it with all of our applications, but it definitely has brought the kind of intelligence that we needed.

What is most valuable?

Part of our use case is that we use Azure DevOps, so we have continuous integration, continuous deployment pipelines in Azure DevOps. The Nexus plugin for DevOps allows us to just include the IQ scan as part of the pipeline deployment. It's very seamless for our users. They don't even have to think about it until they have a violation. IQ informs them or stops the build, and the developers have to resolve it.

The default policies were very good for us. We're using all of the default ones except for setting the warning and the stop features at different build stages. It definitely provides the flexibility we need.

We're not at the point in our deployment of the software to where we're doing automated git pulls and where it will automatically resolve vulnerabilities by downloading new packages. We haven't done that, but the integration with our Azure DevOps pipeline has been very seamless. I don't know of any developers that are using the integration with visual studio IDE.

What needs improvement?

The thing that they're already addressing is high-quality data for the Conan dependencies. They're very responsive to user needs. We're one of the first organizations to use Conan, so I identified a discrepancy in how they were scanning the dependencies, and they added the functionality within four weeks or so. The team is incredible. I can't think of any other ways that it could improve it.

When Conan support was first added to Nexus IQ, it would only scan one file type for dependencies. We don't use that specific method in Conan, but rather, another acceptable method for declaring dependencies that IQ wasn't scanning. I think the Sonatype developers  didn't even know about it because they learning Conan as much as we were. I informed them of the other file type for declaring dependencies and they quickly added the functionality.

I started installing it at the beginning of this year.

I've never had any problems with it, so it's been very stable.

I don't know about the scalability yet because we are small and we don't have that many applications or packages yet. I haven't had to scale it. I designed, from the beginning, the storage architecture of my Repository Manager to be scalable because I knew a lot of the large data will sit there. I designed that upfront to be scalable to other storage volumes or even other servers. I know there are features for having multiple IQ servers or Repository manager servers and load balancing or having automatic failover and things, but I haven't done those things yet.

Technical support has been great. I've never had any problems. When I do have an issue, sometimes I'll email Derek or I talk to him about it during our weekly meetings. He'll send off an email or a chat right away and get an answer back quickly about a resolution or resolution timeline.

We weren't doing automated vulnerability scans or license scanning. We were pulling straight from the public repositories so everybody had local caches of varying packages, which was different from the repositories of packages on our build servers. It was like the Wild West, but the Nexus products have helped us consolidate our repositories.

The primary reason why our senior director of product management decided he wanted to do this was that we develop sensitive software and need to ensure we don't have vulnerabilities from third party open source packages. We needed an automated way to do scanning instead of having the developers look at a list of their packages and compare them to a list of new vulnerabilities themselves. That would've been a nightmare. That central repository management was a secondary reason, but it was also important.

As important as vulnerability scanning, the licensing was essential to us too because around the time we were evaluating the Nexus product, there was a large company that was getting sued for violating open source GPL-2 license requirements. We wanted to avoid problems like that. Those are the two primary reasons.

The initial setup was easy. We're hosting on-prem and I put Nexus IQ on a VM I created according to Sonatype's recommended specs. It was really easy to install and it's really easy to update. The only thing that took a little longer to do was settings up HTTPS. It was my own fault because I had typos in configuration files that I'd overlooked. Following their instructions makes installation and upgrading really straightforward.

I did the IQ server and the repository manager server at the same time, and it took around less than a day for both of them.

When I first installed the two servers, I followed their recommended system requirements guidelines. In hindsight, because we are so small and we don't yet have that many applications, I probably could have started with IQ and Repository manager as containers. That would be okay for smaller companies that might be restricted on what resources they have available for hosting the servers. They could probably do containers in the beginning and then expand if they needed to later.

The deployment was given to me as a project. I didn't have an implementation strategy when I started building the servers, but Derek and I created implementation strategies as we went, after I installed the servers.

Initially after installing IQ and I putting some Python applications into, we had all of our policies set to warn and not fail builds automatically because we hadn't decided our governance process. That was part of the implementation strategy that we had to figure out. We had to decide a time to roll out our test applications and test groups. Derek was really instrumental in helping me see it in stages. We would test with the Python applications and then move on to other types of repositories and other types of applications for a broader adoption strategy.

Since the developers weren't doing really thorough vulnerability assessments in the past, I can only estimate how many hours it's saved and allowed them to continue developing the applications.

For example, if one of our pipeline applications has 15 dependencies and a developer had to look for vulnerabilities in that list of 15 dependencies, it could take a half-hour every day for one application. If they're developing six applications at once, then it could be a couple of hours a day per developer. It would quickly get out of hand.

I don't know anything about the pricing. I know that our license is the most encompassing one you can get. It includes the IQ server (Lifecyle, Firewall) and the Repository Manager Pro. Firewall is really useful for us to keep an eye on our proxy repositories for vulnerabilities. That's another layer of helping us make sure that we don't have vulnerable products. The expense is justifiable because of the potential to save a company a lot of money in lawsuits and risks from having vulnerable packages in their applications.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any reason to rate it less than 10 out of ten. It's been really solid, really helpful, and it will pay off hugely as we continue to expand.

More Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle reviews from users
...who compared it with Black Duck
Learn what your peers think about Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.