Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle Review

The analysis provides a lot of very valuable information

What is our primary use case?

We have it running on the majority of our builds for all of our applications and we use Jenkins for our build system. Eventually, the goal is to incorporate this into Jenkins so that if we don't get a good enough result on both Nexus IQ and SonarQube, we'll actually fail the Jenkins build. That way we force ourselves to maintain good metrics on both of them. So Nexus IQ is making sure that we're using dependencies that don't have known vulnerabilities. And SonarQube is making sure that our code maintains a certain level of quality.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to take full advantage of Nexus. It's set up and it's working, but we haven't rolled it fully into our development process. Our builds use it, but we're not using the information from it a whole lot. The solutions are running, but we're not enforcing the results from them and, therefore, our developers aren't driven to make absolutely sure that they are going well. Hopefully, we'll get there soon.

What is most valuable?

So far, the information that we're getting out of both the Nexus Lifecycle and SonarQube tools is really great.

And the integration of Lifecycle is really good with Jenkins and GitHub; those work very well. We've been able to get it to work seamlessly with them so that it runs on every build that we have. That part is easy to use and we're happy with that.

We're able to use Jenkins Pipeline and the integrations that are built into Gradle to incorporate that into our build process where we can have control over exactly when Nexus IQ and SonarQube analyses are run — what kinds of builds — and have them run automatically.

We've had it in place for about six months now.

Overall, the stability is pretty good. I haven't figured this out yet, but occasionally we do see failures in the Jenkins build. I haven't figured out why yet. I don't know if it's an issue with our Jenkins server or if it's with Sonatype. But otherwise, it seems pretty stable.

We haven't looked at its scalability at this point. We do have plans to use it more in the future, enforcing the results of the analysis to fail builds and force the developers to fix the issues in there before moving on.

We've used Sonatype's technical support a few times. We had some issues, and I think we might still have some issues, where the Sonatype Nexus Repository has integrations with IQ and SonarQube. We're getting some errors on the UI, so we've had Sonatype look into that a little bit.

But they were responsive and had good suggestions, things to try. Overall, they're good.

We didn't have a previous solution.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The documentation is done well. It was easy to follow and I was able to set it up and get it working without a lot of effort.

I probably spent a day getting it installed, understanding it, and figuring out how to integrate it with our current solution.

In addition to myself, about 10 developers will eventually be looking at it to give them feedback on code quality and dependency management.

In terms of deployment and maintenance, it's me and a little bit of our CTO. He did the installation initially on our server and then I set up the integration with the rest of our process.

What other advice do I have?

So far, it seems to be a good solution and there is a lot of very valuable information that the analysis provides.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle reviews from users