SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection Review

We use it for protection against viruses and ransomware attacks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protection against viruses and ransomware attacks. People click on stuff that they shouldn't be but do anyway, then we are just hoping the tool catches it before it hits us.

How has it helped my organization?

So far, we haven't been hit with anything, which is good.

What is most valuable?

They have a large database of commonly known things that they can catch automatically, then they have anything which is questionable go to the sandbox and be examined there before going into our network. They'll block anything bad. If it's something that needs further testing, and if it ultimately checks clean, then they'll release it.

What needs improvement?

It does fare well against enterprise products.

So far, stability is fine.

The upgrade is not where it should be.

It seems like they're doing pretty well with scalability.

While technical support is good, SonicWall had a recent layoff. This is a concern for us, because now we are missing the local presence from both the engineering and sales side.

We are a SonicWall reseller. We were working with this product before it was bought by Dell, and even after they were purchased by Dell. The capture was just an add-on to existing firewalls that we already owned.

The initial setup was easy. We have the antivirus intrusion detection.

For our engineers, the capture piece did take a little more time, though not because it was complex.

SonicWall came out with a new add-on. It was inexpensive to add-on to the existing product that we already owned, so we added it.

The best deal from SonicWall is to buy the HA pair. When you buy the initial one, you receive the second one at a significant discount. If there is an event and something happens to one firewall, then you have the second firewall to roll into. For the price, it's pretty to tough to beat and not a lot of other firewall vendors offer it. You battle for a discount on both. Where with SonicWall, if you buy one, the second one is at half price. It's pretty straightforward.

I'm seeing a lot of our locations changing out and moving toward Fortinet. I think it's because Fortinet is selling more than just a firewall. They are selling the total package.

We lean towards SonicWall because of our experience with them. We've had it for a long time. As our data center increased in size, we stayed with SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

It is for a small to medium sized customer.

I think there is a network between the vendors where something that becomes known to one becomes known to all.