SonicWall NSA Review

Has high availability and stateful firewall capabilities

What is most valuable?

Since we have a strict SLA of 99.98% up-time on our network per year, (including maintenance), resilience is our main concern. It is a good thing that our very own NSA 4600 has high availability/stateful firewall capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had zero downtime since the deployment of NSA 4600 (HA).

What needs improvement?

I'm not quite impressed with their new logging interface.

I've been using SonicWall NGFWs for almost five years now. We started using the NSA 4600 (HA) in March.

There were no stability issues at all!

There were no scalability issues at all!

I would give technical support a rating of seven out of 10. Their follow up is good. However, if the agent who is handling the case is not around, your support case will not progress. Hopefully, they can improve this.

SonicWall NGFW has always provided the protection and uptime that we have needed. We never thought of switching to other vendors.

I've been with SonicWall since my internship. Although we have a complex setup (Site-to-site VPN, SSL VPN, Bunch of NAT, custom Zones and Firewall policies), the initial setup for a new site has always been straightforward for us. This was due to the available knowledge base documents throughout the internet.

SonicWall's Next Generation Firewall itself, I believe, is not expensive for the features and the protection it offers. Though the licensing is the big problem, especially for those companies with flat budgets for IT. My advice would be for everyone to avail themselves of at least three years of licensing to save tons of money.

We never had the chance to evaluate other options. But lots of my friends are bugging me to take a look at Sophos XG firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a demo unit first before buying this.