SonicWall NSSP Review

Good VPN functionality, very good support, easy to manage, and meets all of our needs

What is our primary use case?

Our clients mainly use it for their firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

The VPN functionality is really good. Overall, the whole device is very easy to manage. The software that comes with it is also good.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting functions can be improved. It has decent reporting, but you got to pay a lot more money for it. That's where it begins to fall apart. It comes with minimal zero reporting unless you buy some extra modules. With those extra modules, you can get all the data, but it takes a while to put together what you need for your customer. It is for technical people, but there is no executive summary of the reporting.

I have been using this solution for probably three years.

It has been stable. I haven't had any issues.

As compared to other vendors, it isn't better or worse. However, if you need an upgrade, it seems like you got to make a couple of jumps. Something should be in the middle so that you don't have to go to a much higher piece of hardware. If I need 50% more capacity, I almost have to buy two to three times more capacity. It seems like it has a bigger jump than other vendors, but this is just my opinion. I don't have any data to base that on.

Their technical support is very good. If I had to pick between the top three firewalls with all things being equal, I would go with SonicWall just for the support and ease of management. Cisco is very good, but SonicWall has very good support.

Its initial setup is absolutely easy. In general, SonicWall is overall very easy.

You got to buy some VPN licenses, and there might be a $40 to $50 one-time license fee per current user. There are different layers. They have several different levels of event security software and depending on the model, it seems to come out to be $1 to $2 a day. So, if you bought a three-year license, it is going to be anywhere from $900 to $1800 depending on the bundle and model that you buy.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely a good fit for small to mid-size companies. I am always a little hesitant to say large companies because they may have a few different requirements because they're large enough. That's where you begin to differentiate between the firewalls or some of those features that are there in one but might not be there in other ones, but I would always consider it. I would even consider it for a large company, but when you compare it with Fortinet or some of the other firewalls that are geared towards big companies, you can start seeing where they might be lacking a feature or two. I am not even sure if those features are the key critical requirements, but that's where it starts to fall down.

I would rate SonicWall NSSP a nine out of ten. I am not implementing it for a large company, but it meets all of our needs very well.

More SonicWall NSSP reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Find out what your peers are saying about SonicWall, WiJungle, Cisco and others in Firewalls. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.