SonicWall SMA SSL-VPN Review

A high-performance and secure solution for remote access that also facilitates technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using different products from SonicWall, and the SSL-VPN is part of our overall solution. We change appliance models approximately every three years.

We have an on-premises deployment, and these appliances are used with our data servers.

There are several things that we use the VPN for including remote access, accessing data on the file server, and using on-premises applications from the outside. There are many uses for this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

These are very nice appliances and they give us all that we need for our work in the hospital. It is a very secure appliance.

We are a hospital, and we have external support from different vendors who are also using SSL VPN. For example, we have technical support for our air conditioning system. If they need to fix something remotely, they can use SSL VPN and they can fix it without coming into the office.

This device makes the lives of our support team easy. If there is a problem then they can diagnose and repair issues remotely. This is very helpful for our hospital and for our management. It means a quicker resolution for any issues that we face.

What is most valuable?

This solution has many options for remote desktop and access.

It is very effective for file sharing, or if I need the file servers to share specific folders.

The performance is very good, as there is no delay.

It is very easy to manage and make our environment secure.

What needs improvement?

This is an expensive solution and I think that the price could be improved.

We have been using this solution for more than ten years.

This is a very stable solution. We installed this most recent model perhaps seven or eight months ago, and nobody has complained of any problem.

The number of concurrent users depends on your license. We purchased a license for twenty-five users, which means that it does not scale above that unless you purchase additional licenses.

Technical support for this solution is great. When we ask questions they answer them quickly.

The initial setup was very easy for us. It is not complicated and the manuals are very clear.

We did have a slight complication on how to configure it on the firewall. This is a solution that is linked to the firewall, so having that type of configuration experience would have made it a little bit quicker. At the same time, the support from SonicWall was great. When we asked for help on this, they answered it very quickly.

When we changed to our most recent model, the users had no trouble adapting to it.

I performed the deployment myself. I have experience with the previous models of this solution, so it was easy for me to install, configure, and make it secure.

This is not a complicated device. There were some changes in the users and the groups, and it was very easy to deal with and manage.

The cost of the licensing is based on the maximum number of concurrent users, and it costs a lot to add them.

What other advice do I have?

I am hoping to expand our use of this solution to accommodate remote access to hospital information system applications that our doctors and nurses use.

There is support for Citrix, but we do not have it so we have not tested this yet. Perhaps next year, we will try it.

This is a solution that I recommend for other institutions, including other hospitals. It has good functionality and security. It is built on the Linux operating system. It contains most of the features that I need for my users.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.