SonicWall TZ Review

Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is important for the main security program of our client companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the site categorization and application controls, and I also like the anti-spam feature.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Another issue is that part of the company strategy is that once the license expires, the company blocks features and things slow down. It would be nice if they would provide a free version for small companies. Most companies here in Brazil either don't have the money or their culture is cost-oriented so they don't make large investments in security. They prefer products which are less expensive such as open, source-based firewalls. Having access to a free version would mean that we could create an awareness within the company about the importance of these solutions. Because of the dollar rate, the product is quite expensive for us, whereas in the States it's affordable to spend a few thousand dollars on a solution.

I've been using this product for six years.

The solution is not very scalable. We often have to change the appliances. That's the downside on these kinds of projects because it then requires the company to make an additional purchase. Our clients usually have up to 400 users each.

We don't like the technical support much. There is a long wait time to get a response.

We also use Fortinet for our clients and we prefer that solution. Fortinet has a better user interface that's easier to use with no hardware charges. It's a more expensive solution but you get what you pay for. The graphical user interface is not so easy with SonicWall. Sophos also has a better user interface.

The initial setup is complex and takes a few hours. It really requires specialized technicians. If the user interface was easier it would be a little less complex to deploy. It means they need to contact companies like ours, but maybe they need to improve their in-house support.

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

More SonicWall TZ reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.