SonicWall TZ Review

You will be easily impressed with the performance and features available but they doesn't offer virtual UTM models.

What is most valuable?

• The management GUI is easy to configure, friendly to use, manage, and troubleshoot
  • IPSec/SSL VPN is easy to configure
  • It offers granular level of control for IPS and firewalls with advanced application control features
  • You have one console to manage different aspect of the product
  • It provides a high level of security
  • It is easy to integrate into an existing network
  • It provides a high level of throughput

What needs improvement?

• The DPI SSL Inspection needs a lot of improvements
  • Dell SonicWALL doesn’t offer virtual UTM models which is a very fast growing area in the world

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

The firewall does crash and/or unexpectedly reboots.

Generally speaking no, but sizing correctly is main challenge, and that is why you need to make sure you select the right model.

The hold time is very long, and they need to hire more people to handle the huge number of incoming calls.

Dell SonicWALL tech support is excellent, and they meet the evolving needs of their clients.

I had a chance to work with Fortinet and Netasq. and am also currently exploring CheckPoint. It was a part of my job when I joined different companies, and each with had partnership with these products.

Most of the deployments were straightforward, whether as a standalone unit or as part of an HA setup.

It was an in-house team who consulted with the vendor for complex installations.

It delivers an immediate ROI with a low cost of managing and maintaining multiple security solutions, it increases productivity, and improves security.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Dell SonicWALL UTM is strong in the UTM space with great support. They continue to innovate and deliver a solid UTM product with high throughput speed. Added to this, Dell partners are pleased with their SonicWALL partnership as well as the products features and excellent support.

2 Comments

author avatar‎Systems Engineer at Savvy network logic

Best Firewall on the Market, not another linux firewall, like the rest whose Kernels can be rooted.
See it for yourself, btw if your looking for a virtual firewall, what are you putting in front of it?

author avatarHamza_Farhan (A10 Networks)

I know Dell SonicWall very well since I used to work there for 3 yrs. Many customers now implementing multi-layer approach where they have SonicWall in Route / NAT mode and and IPS/IDS from another vendor such as Fortinet in Transparent mode for better security and visibility. Keep in mind that the IPS/IDS/AV in SonicWall in only signature-based with no Heuristic scanning and no sandboxing .