Sophos Cyberoam UTM Review

Good VPN and reporting capabilities with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Cyberoam in close to nine locations.

We are using, for example, IP sets from Kenya to Somalia, a place where we could not get MPLS connectivity.

We have a secondary server in the Somalia office. I also use it from the Nairobi office to the Dubai office as the MPLS is very expensive and I need to do a backup daily. That is for the IP sec.

For the VPN, we use it to access our ERP systems remotely from everywhere. Close to a hundred users use it and it has been stable.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is excellent on the solution.

The reporting aspect of the solution is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. A company should have any troubles setting it up in their organization.

What needs improvement?

The reports are not very detailed, or, at least, some aspects of it are not that detailed. They need to improve the reporting and to bring in greater detail.

The policy is a bit too vague. The solution needs to be much clearer when they go about making policies.

I'd like to see better documentation in the future.

I've been using the solution for the last five years.

Overall, the stability has been excellent. I've only had an issue with one device which had a power surge that destroyed it and I replaced it. So far, so good. I've never had it with latency issues with the memory going down. It has been good. It has served me well.

We have many offices. There may be 300 to 400. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

The technical support is good. Our license is the eight to five, not 24/7. Once you raise a ticket through the chat, you open it with another ticket with the account. Anytime when you open a ticket, they're very efficient. I've never had an issue with them. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not complex. It's straightforward. I haven't had an issue with the process at all. It's been easy.

Basically, for most of the machines, we take a backup of it. Once I get a new machine, I install the backup with all my policies and everything set, and I only change the IP.

We are thinking of getting another firewall. I'm currently comparing Cisco Meraki, Fortinet, and Sophos. We're trying to see the cost and comparing them on a few points.

Any past evaluation was a long time ago. Before I joined the organization, the organization evaluated Cisco. Nowadays, Cisco, Meraki, and other options came out, and they might not have as many features.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

We are using various versions, including 100iNG, 50iNG, and 25iNG.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. There's always room for improvement, although mostly we have been happy with it.

More Sophos Cyberoam UTM reviews from users
...who work at a Non Profit
...who compared it with Sophos UTM
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.