Sophos Cyberoam UTM Review

Easy installation with good load balancers but needs better documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities. We use it to make a firewall for the network and the two main computers as well as our web pages.

What is most valuable?

The solution works really well overall.

It's quite easy to configure everything, which is a great selling point for us. You can easily adjust the users and load balances, for example. We can make our own rules and input as many as we like.

The firewall is very good. It provides a nice amount of security.

The solution has good load balancers.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

So far, we've found the scalability to be acceptable.

The installation process is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

A user needs to do some training on the solution in order to take full advantage of the product.

There needs to be more documentation that users can access to help them understand the solution or troubleshoot as necessary. Right now, this is lacking quite a bit.

Beyond that, there aren't really any missing features that I can recall. I can't speak to what I would like to see in a future release.

The stability of the solution is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and offers us a good performance.

The product is quite scalable. If a company needs to scale it up, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have at least 500 users on the product currently.

I don't have any experience with technical support. I have never used them and therefore can't speak to how responsive or knowledgeable they might be.

We used to use Kerio Control. I actually liked using it, however, we only had it for about eight or nine months before moving off of it. That said, I didn't have the skills to manage the solution properly.

We have found the initial installation process to be straightforward and easy. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company should be able to manage it rather easily.

If you connect it then you can adjust the web page and the IP and you can make a batch configuration. Then you can simply connect to the tower. It's not hard.

The deployment maybe took three or so hours. It wasn't a long amount of time. That includes handling all of the configurations as well.

We have five members that make up a technical team that can handle deployment and maintenance. Two are administrators. One is a security admin and the other is a network admin. Those are the two that mostly manage everything and have the rights to do so.

At the time, we used a consultant to assist us in the process. They were quite knowledgeable and helped a lot.

We pay for licensing the solution. It's my understanding that it is not overly expensive. It may be somewhere around $2,000 for a license.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution.

I would rate it at least a seven out of ten. It's a pretty good solution and we're mostly happy with it.

More Sophos Cyberoam UTM reviews from users
...who work at a Non Profit
...who compared it with Sophos UTM
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.