It is an excellent product with lots of pros such as-
3) Web and application level filtering
4) Intrusion detection with instant prevention of zero day attacks
5) Identity based policy creation
6) Access control criteria
7)Flexible policy creation with stacking and VPN support
Room for Improvement:
Few cons of the product are
1) Incapable of handling new attacks without degradation in performance
2) High pricing
3) ASIC based hence cannot be reprogrammed for newer attacks, falls victim to new vulnerabilities and exploits
4) Older software architecture and lack of multi core technology
5) Performance is a legitimate concern under high traffic conditions
Unified Threat Management System is an elite product which has been engineered for security, productivity, and connectivity to users across the wide area and local area networks. It specializes in application level filtering according to the OSI Model. Its Layer 8 technology makes it a class apart from the other firewalls available. Layer 8 filtering mechanism enables the user to filter keywords, URLs, and services for application layer filtering. It also has a built in packet inspection engine for packet intrusion prevention.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jul 02 2012