Sophos Cyberoam UTM Review

Has good standard firewall-type functionalities as well as a good web application firewall

What is our primary use case?

The majority of it is on-premise protecting the external to internal and then we utilize the features inside the Cyberoam XG series like their IPS and their web application firewall to do the filtering as well as their proxy server inside the application control.

What is most valuable?

I'm more inclined towards the conventional firewall. So for me, I'm more geared towards the standard firewall type functionalities as well as the web application firewall because that seems to work fine.

What needs improvement?

I would say there's room for improvement in terms of the GUI. Because it is better than some of the other standard firewalls. They have the drag and drop features.

Also, their logging systems need improvement because their logging systems sometimes look a bit complicated if you're not familiar with it.

We have been using Sophos since the XG version, so around four to five years.

It's quite stable. When they first started out with the XG series it was a bit buggy but after a few releases, it became quite stable.

The XG series is much better compared to the previous UTM. Because with the XG series you can actually approach the enterprise level. Previously we tried to go for these large enterprises when we talked about the Sophos Firewall. When they moved to Cyberoam XG series Firewall they were much more scalable and they're much more robust compared to earlier ones.

Most of our clients are enterprise-size. We have one customer that's using almost about 200 units of the XG series firewall. Then we have other customers using it on their larger network, so they cater to about 300 to almost 500 users

I don't have any problems with technical support so far because any time I ever contacted technical support it was for a major issue. Other than that I don't have any issues with technical support.

I previously worked with Nokia, Checkpoint, and FortiGate. Checkpoint is in the enterprise range, it is very high end. It's not a very cheap product compared because when it comes to pricing Checkpoint is very expensive. If you're comparing Sophos to FortiGate they are more or less similar. FortiGate can do a virtual firewall that Sophos cannot.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment is very fast. With an engineer, it can take a few hours.

Sophos is quite flexible when it comes to pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would just say keep it simple, don't make it too complex. Keep it simple and then from there scale it up.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

To make it a higher score, Sophos should look at the virtual firewall feature because most of the current players like Juniper have the option for a virtual firewall. That way you can actually split up into multiple different firewalls or one physical firewall.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: distributor
More Sophos Cyberoam UTM reviews from users
...who work at a Non Profit
...who compared it with Sophos UTM
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
473,605 professionals have used our research since 2012.