Sophos Email Appliance Review

Email security that protects your business from malicious intrusions effectively

What is our primary use case?

We have a Sophos XG appliance and licensing for email, virus, anti-spam, and some other email features. So the primary purpose of the product is our primary use case.

How has it helped my organization?

Sophos Email Appliance provides a layer of security that effectively defends against malicious attacks that arrive via email.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Sophos Appliance is just as an anti-spam protection layer. It provides protection from spam, fishing, and from receiving harmful emails that contain things like trojans or ransomware and it checks all attachments safely in real-time. This is most useful for us.

What needs improvement?

For now, everything seems just fine feature-wise in the Sophos solution. But this impression may be because we are only using the product for six months. It takes time to discover what exists in the program and also for us to find any area to improve in a new version.

We had some issues early on, like when we could not send to a specific domain even though we were not blocked. The support team checked the problem and solved it. Their response and effort in doing everything are just great and they solve all our problems. That was more due to our setup and inexperience with the product than something that needs to be repaired.

It may be possible for them to improve on the options in reporting. If they can work on the reporting to make it easier to find the problems that need attention for troubleshooting, that would make our experience better.

If they can improve just these two items that would be significant.

We are using this solution for about six months at our company.

This product is stable and it is good at what it was designed to do. The options are very good, the protection is very good and we are happy with the product as a solution.

We provided Sophos with our requirements and projections and we choose the product that Sophos told us had the capability to meet our needs. We should not have any problem with scalability in the future. We have not had time to worry much about scaling at this point because our situation has not changed significantly in six months.

The technical support is good. We are happy that they are responsive and quick to answer our questions.

We have our own IT department, but we are using it on the cloud so there is nothing for them to really do.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate Sophos Email Appliance as a nine. It is not a ten because it is possible that maybe because we are newer users that we don't know what we are missing and maybe later we will find something we need or does not work as expected. Maybe we will find we are satisfied and then learn that there is an even better email protection solution that is more expensive that is newer with different technology and I never heard of it. I don't know. But it is not a ten because I'm not sure it is the best.