Sophos EPP Suite Review

Scans silently, but the setup was complicated and machines started getting viruses

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all our machines in our labs at the university. We use it for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

With Sophos, the scanning of viruses and scanning of the disk is done silently in the background.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a challenge in terms of setting up the rules and managing them.

Since the solution runs silently, you do not know whether the antivirus database has been updated or not. I'm not so sure whether I'm even using an updated antivirus database or if it even scanning every time that I insert a flash disk. I just need that scan and I need to know it's happening. I'm not getting that.

Even if it does a scan, I don't know if hazards have been dealt with. For example, did it clean the disk after it scanned it? In other products, it's much more clear. There needs to be some sort of report that lets you know if it's running if it found something, and what it did with it, etc.

We're concerned the Sophos partners may not necessarily have the right skill sets to deploy the solution in a way that meets our expectations.

The solution is not easy to use in comparison to other endpoint security solutions.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The vendor that marketed the solution to us told us that they were 100% sure that the solution would cover us in all areas. However, with the challenges we've had, I'm not sure if I can speak to the stability of the solution.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't been satisfied with technical support. We opened up a ticket which they closed without giving us a satisfactory answer.

The initial setup for us was complex. We had a vendor assist us and I don't think they had the proper expertise required to customize the solution in a way that would meet our expectations. Deployment took about two weeks.

We had a third party vendor assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Our experience with Sophos has been mixed. They need to follow up with their local partners to ensure whatever issues their clients are having are resolved. At this point, I wouldn't recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten. Earlier, when we installed the solution, we didn't have too many challenges. Challenges didn't start until we started getting reports of people having viruses on their computers when Sophos was running, which makes me concerned that it isn't a secure solution.

More Sophos EPP Suite reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with Trend Micro Smart Protection
Learn what your peers think about Sophos EPP Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.