Sophos EPP Suite Review

Stops infections from spreading around an internal network even after the problems have infiltrated it

What is our primary use case?

The use case is that many businesses are trying to make an effort to secure their IT assets more rigorously. Right now, in 2020, and last year, in 2019, a lot of businesses became aware of the incidents that are happening in digital media with security issues. There were many incidents involving ransomware, hacking attempts, botnet — all those things. This made the people more aware and scared about the security of their systems. That is the reason we are selecting products to try and provide the best security endpoints possible for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The main reason why we choose the Sophos EPP Suite is because of its capabilities to stop infections from spreading around the internal network once the problems have infiltrated it. For example, one computer gets infected. When that computer attempts to communicate with another computer — one client to another client — Sophos checks the behavior of the computer. It looks at what it is trying to communicate and what resources the computer is using. If it does something that is suspicious, like move an application that may be a virus, Sophos will stop the activity and disconnect the computer from the rest of the network immediately. It does this automatically without an administrator having to do or even be aware of anything. This is the main thing we like about the Sophos product. It is constantly monitoring all points and has the capability to detect and act on intrusions without other intervention.

What needs improvement?

The area improvement is something very specific. Windows firewall security allows an exception where the user of a specific device can turn the firewall on or off. We need to configure our Windows firewall security in an active directory via group policy. We do not want to allow the exception or for individual users to be able to make this change. When using Sophos, instead of doing this in an active directory, we have to create a policy on the Sophos portal itself. In the Sophos policy, we can indicate which port is allowed and which port is not allowed for the Windows firewall and how it is handled.

Previously, we were using ESET smart security which also has a Windows firewall base. We could control each and every link and port for everything. Like for people taking their desktop remotely, we could allow VNC (Virtual Network Computing) remote connections on a specific port only. All other ports are blocked from this type of access. This feature is something only ESET had. I am pretty much sure Sophos does not have this kind of policy available. They should make this adaptation. The rest of the Sophos product and the technology and utility of the suite is beautiful. I believe all network system administrators would be glad to have this feature.

What I would also like to see added is information about update compatibilities. This should be included in a notification for upgrades from Sophos as to whether there is any reason to update Windows for Endpoint or not. The problem stems from the fact that Microsoft is releasing these updates and the patches for security every month. A lot of those patches have issues and incompatibilities. After Microsoft releases the updates, they sometimes have to release a fix to the update with patches. They usually do this in the next two to three days. It would be helpful if Sophos did the testing of the updates to inform all their clients so we can be sure these updates are OK. Then, in turn, we can inform our clients if updates are compatible with their servers or not.

We deploy this solution to clients and have only been deploying it for several months after testing at our facilities.

I do not have any experience regarding technical support for Sophos EPP directly. But to compare that to the technical support from SonicWall, which I researched on the web, the technical support for Sophos is currently just as good. I don't know personally. From what I have read, they responsive and they are quick to give users a solution. They resolve problems in a few seconds or within five minutes or ten minutes and are as fast and as accurate as SonicWall support. Once we engage in the full licenses, then we'll be able to find out for certain how the Sophos people will respond to help me out for any incidents that we have.

We did not really previously use a particular solution — for ourselves or our clients — that will take care of all the things that the Sophos suite will as a unified product. We are constantly evaluating different products by checking out demos. We have used Sophos products for ourselves and with clients in the past but we still need to activate the Sophos EPP (Endpoint Protection Platform) for ourselves internally with formal licenses. We previously had a license and it is still valid, but we need to upgrade for more users.

The solution we are using right now with most clients is ESET (Essential Security against Evolving Threats) Endpoint Security. We are going to Sophos Intercept X to replace this. We had also been looking into how Intercept X works with the endpoint firewall including how well they communicate with each other and how that may impact our infrastructure. So I've been very interested in the concept of adopting Sophos. As soon as possible, we will get the licenses. About 250 client machines and 55 for our actual and virtual servers.

I very much impressed with the Sophos product called Intercept X. It is  a wonderful concept because it is protecting the end-user in a different way. It is working with a proactive model, not just an active model. So now Sophos will be actively protecting us before some problem is acquired by our systems.

Our current antivirus solution will expire on the 8th of February in 2020. Before that date, we will activate Sophos for our organization backup systems to do further testing. We are currently using a third-party product called Mimecast for email security. We still have one year on the licenses for that. So Mimecast will expire in 2021. Then we will be ready to adopt the Sophos solution that fills this need. We are starting with the Sophos Endpoint solution first, and in July next year, we will check how everything is going with the Endpoint solution and hopefully we will see everything is going well. Then we will move forward adopting additional Sophos products. We will improve like that, one by one, to unify our solutions into the Sophos Suite.

We are currently checking into the actual licensing costs. We are waiting for a quotation for 250 end-users and 55 service licenses. We are hoping for a reduced contract price by directly contacting the Sophos company for the licenses. Because we are in the UAE, they have a lot of connecting partners for Sophos already, so it is hard to say if they need more partners or that they will want to give a significant discount. We still think we hold significant interest for them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos as a nine.

Cloud-based
More Sophos EPP Suite reviews from users
...who compared it with Trend Micro Smart Protection
Learn what your peers think about Sophos EPP Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
463,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.