Sophos Intercept X Review

Not just another simple virus-scanning product, but it does not handle removable USB drives well

What is our primary use case?

We use Intercept X Advanced along with Sophos EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response).

We use it for our servers and clients as advanced protection. It is not just a simple virus scanning product.

We use it to work with clients and it is installed on five servers. At this time we have only installed it at one customer site. But we plan to continue to expand.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of the solution in our use case is client isolation. It is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

What I think Sophos can improve is with the data-loss feature, especially when it comes to using USB sticks and USB hard disks. The feature blocks access to these USB sticks and disks and there seems to be no immediate workaround for that. Our customer was not satisfied with the feature. We actually ended up having to deactivate this feature because it is too aggressive and could not meet the client's needs.

We started using Sophos Intercept X in December of 2019.

We have not had a problem at all with the stability.

It is easy to scale this product. As far as the typical organization size that it fits, I would say it is suited for smaller and medium-sized companies. We have not yet installed it at a large customer site, so I cannot answer about large or enterprise companies specifically.

To this point, I have not had a need to use Sophos support for Intercept X specifically.

I have used Sophos support for other products that we use. Sophos support for XG is okay if it is just regarding questions about the product. I did not have any problems with them in getting a good answer to questions about the product or installations. But when it comes to device defects, then it can take four to six weeks to get a solution. In that case, the support is really not satisfactory. It does not satisfy me and it is really unacceptable.

We did use other solutions in the past, including Trend Micro, Symantec, and Kaspersky. The main difference between Sophos Intercept X and the other products is the client reservation feature. I believe that is a standalone point for Sophos as it is the only product that has it. It allows particular hosts to always use the same IP address which is sometimes desirable.

The administration of Trend Micro is one thing which I like about that product. It is very easy to use. I would say that Trend Micro is better than Sophos on that point.

We switched to Sophos because we are selling Sophos firewalls already. The Sophos Intercept X product works better with these firewall solutions than other virus scanning products from different vendors. We decided to keep to the same vendor for a more unified solution.

We started to work with Sophos Endpoint Protection originally and we are on Bonfire XG as well. It is convenient to expand out working with the brand as a partner.

The initial setup for the product is not simple. It is medium to complex to install and setup.

After deploying it takes only me and the customer team for maintenance. Really one person can do it. So there is just one person at my company and I have communication with one colleague at the customer site.

We did not need outside help from a vendor to handle the deployment. I did it myself and we are a partner with Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would have for people considering using virus scanning is that I, personally, would not use Sophos Endpoints. That is the simplest edition of the Sophos virus protection product line. I would use Intercept X Advanced as the entry-level product as the other, simpler product, is not robust enough to provide acceptable protection for businesses in my estimation.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos Intercept X as a seven. First, I never give a ten because every product can be improved. Second, I subtract two points because of my experience with the data loss feature and how it behaves with USB drives.

More Sophos Intercept X reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.