Sophos Intercept X Review

Cloud administration, strong ransomware protection, and firewall integration make this a standout

What is our primary use case?

We are a small consulting group. We are not really end-users but we sell to them. We are primarily recommending Sophos Central Intercept X as a client solution for endpoint security. They are going to be using it for the security apps, their desktops, and there is a server version as well. I would think that someone buying the server product would expect that to include endpoint security, including ransomware protection, advanced threat protection, and zero-day threat protection.

Many of our users also use Sophos firewalls and the solutions integrate with each other nicely.

What is most valuable?

I would say that the most valuable features are the cloud administration and the strength of the ransomware protection.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that I think probably needs the most attention with this product is the technical support. Some of our customers are starting to complain about that.

It is a good product, generally. I can not really give it any criticism or go on about missing or broken features. I have got nothing to say that needs improvement other than the support.

We have been recommending Sophos to users for maybe four years. The proper product name is actually Sophos Central Intercept X Advanced.

I do not know of any limitations having to do with the scalability of this product. We are a small company so the number of clients that we have is not that large. The total would be maybe around 10 clients. The number of endpoints under management for those clients that we are involved with is about 1000. I do not see that we are even close to any limitations in scaling this product with those numbers.

The one thing that needs the most attention according to our customers is the product's technical support. We do not really hear anything about the product having larger issues but there have been a few comments on the gaps in tech support.

The initial setup is probably straightforward but there are times when it could be difficult. We are about to do a project where we are going to have to replace a Symantec product. We will see how hard that is to do. The potential problems have more to do with a question of how difficult it is to remove Symantec completely than it is about installing Sophos. There is a tool from Sophos for doing a replacement. We had not used it before so we will get to see how well it works.

The deployment is quick. It just depends on the environment. If you have a lot of remote sites, that could take more time. If you got to replace something, you never know how hard it is going to be because of how another product sets down its roots. There is a point where you have to just do as well as you can and then deal with issues if any arise.

When we deploy it into client sites we are the integrators and consultants for the deployment. It deploys as you would expect and there are no surprises. Again, it could be hard to remove an existing solution.

Intercept X for endpoints is around $35 per user per year. The server version is $95 per server per year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody who is using a Sophos firewall and is looking to migrate to another solution to give Intercept X the serious consideration it deserves because the Sophos firewall integrates well with the Intercept X solution and that is an advantage.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this solution as a nine-out-of-ten.

More Sophos Intercept X reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.