Sophos Intercept X Review

Provides dependable, intelligent attack defenses and is easy to manage and work with

What is our primary use case?

We are providing this product and support for it in many sectors like health care, retail, sports, and communication sectors. We are also working with Sophos, but with Sophos Endpoint, not XG, or Sophos UTM. We work with Raya (Contact Center) that provides services here in Egypt (they are also using Sophos 550 XG models).

How has it helped my organization?

It improves organizations by providing dependable, intelligent attack defenses.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in Intercept is its engine for machine learning. It is awesome. Its detection capabilities are saving many of our customers' databases from ransomware and other random attacks. The most interesting thing in the Sophos center is the EDR. It is easy to manage and work with. There is no need to have a cyber-security team define its tasks. In the next few years, it will be an agent EDR.

What needs improvement?

I guess really the best part of the package is the same thing that could use the most improvement. The machine learning is good and it is already developed in the database and its engine. I guess they already have processes to cover more intelligent attacks. I am not sure about the improvements possible in this area. They have developed it to discover new attacks. But it is just an engine. There are no features that users have to look inside it. I think allowing more user modification could improve this at least for purposes of customization. But I don't know if it is possible and it is just to continue to improve on what already works.

As far as added features, I would like to see some type of event management in the product. It should not just depend on the logs only. It would be something to deal with the events on PCs in a similar way to enhance the effectiveness of Intercept X and EDR.

I have been using Sophos Intercept for six years

The stability of the product is very good as is the performance. As it works in the background there is never instability in the form of hanging at the work stations or producing false positives. It is very easy to deploy, very simple to use, very light on the operating systems' resources. But there are some guidelines that customers or anyone making the deployment have to keep in mind. They have to make rules and use the product intelligently to avoid any extra false positives or any performance issues. For example, they will want to make full scanning of the environment in times where there is a lower load on the system — in off-hours and not during the prime-time hours. But that responsibility is on the operator.

The performance of the product itself is very stable and very good.

Scalability can happen in one click. If you have another device to add to the environment, you just make the deployment from the server on-premises. The customer does not have to depend only on the cloud server to scale. They also have an on-premise server that makes the rules between the cloud and the LAN environment to avoid any internet disconnects, or bandwidth and performance issues. They can depend on the cache server to communicate on behalf of the client to the on-cloud dashboards.

I personally think the company's technical support is perfect. They always address issues satisfactorily.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

I am not just using it in our department, we are also dealing with installations for customers. We play the role of IT. We enable Sophos products for partners. We do all the work if the customer doesn't have a technical team. We make projects for implementation and providing training.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Intercept X as a nine out of ten. I don't think I can rate any software security product a ten because nothing in software security is100%.

We are deploying Intercept X on Cloud, not on-premises. The reason for this is because the previous versions of Sophos made the agents different between the anti-virus, endpoint and the Intercept X. Now with the Cloud, Sophos is making one agent for the three technologies — the endpoint, Intercept X, and EDR (Intelligent Endpoint Detection and Response). The three components are in one agent and managed by one dashboard, Sophos Central.