Sophos Network Access Control Review

Integrates endpoints and firewall: Endpoints missing a patch will be disconnected from the network

How has it helped my organization?

If there is an infected system, the firewall will alert me and we can actually take that system off the network and isolate it. The Sophos people will resolve that issue and then bring the system back to the network.

What is most valuable?

Sophos has an endpoint side, a firewall side, access control, and a phishing side. It is an entire network security solution.

What Sophos has done is integrate almost the entire OSI layer infrastructure. It gives me visibility across my infrastructure. It gives me visibility into all the mobile devices that are on my network and into the security I have on those mobile devices. I also have visibility into my users, my servers, and into what is happening at all my gateways, as well as visibility on my switches. So it gives me a global view of my infrastructure.

The beautiful thing about it is that it has an integration between the endpoint and the firewall. So if any of my endpoints, systems like desktops or laptops, does not have an updated patch, it will be disconnected from the network.

What needs improvement?

What needs to be improved on is the fact that Sophos consumes a lot of processor resources and, once it starts scanning, the RAM utilization is very high. I am a little bit worried about where Sophos is. A system with 4 GB would struggle. Even when it scans systems that have 8 GB, they struggle.

Also, one of the things that Sophos has not been able to tidy up properly — and I asked them about it — is that it would be nice if a person who is using Sophos on mobile devices could connect to the office using some type of multi-factor authentication. I would like to see a mobile app that generates a token inside our system and then it signs you into our network.

We have been using Sophos for a few years.

It's stable.

It is easy to scale the product.

Sophos support is okay because we have people here, Sophos technical partners, in Nigeria. We are not really dependent on Sophos outside the country. They are in UK, but we have not had to depend on them there to resolve many issues. We have asked them to help one or two times.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos, including Intercept X which is their anti-virus software for endpoints. I would also advise, if you are getting Sophos, to make sure you upgrade systems from 4 GB to 8 GB and make sure you upgrade your systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so you will be fully protected.