Sophos UTM Review
Sophos's web filtering & SMTP filtering is much better than SonicWall which we previously used.

Valuable Features

Firewall and Web Protection

Advanced Threat Protection is a good "dashboard" feature to see if there is any network issues

Improvements to My Organization

Its a key point of keeping your network secure which once setup requires minimal ongoing monitoring. Also this unit can act as the whole security suite so everything in your network is protected.

Room for Improvement

Its identification of users without the need of setting up Proxies or Identity software could be better, that is probably the trickiest section to setup.

Use of Solution

2 years

No issues other than ensuring what has been configured matches the requirement of the company/client.

The only stability issue we have encountered was an update caused the unit to over process things. Everything kept running but it did slow down Internet access because of this.

I have only done basic High Availability setup which is very good but not Scalable solutions. However, as long as you follow the sizing guides and get the right UTM for the company there has been no issues.

Excellent

Not outstanding but I have noticed significant improvements over the last 12 months

We used to use SonicWall. I still think its a good product though its web filtering and SMTP filtering were no where near as good as Sophos UTM. The reason we switched was the partner relationship between Dell and the IT Solutions company soured.

You can setup the unit in simple mode and get 90% of what you want done. That is very straightforward

You can also setup each component manually. This requires understanding of the unit but even that is not difficult.

Probably the only difficult part of the Sophos UTM is the WebControl as this can be setup many ways. Ensuring you have mapped out a solution that is adaptable to the company is probably the most complex part.

Implementation Team

As we are a supplier, we bounce off ideas with their sales engineers. They are excellent.

ROI

Unsure as I don't deal in the money side of things but I think the clients get excellent returns as their security is totally covered if they include EndPoint protection.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Most companies I have dealt with handing them a unit find they don't have to do much ongoing work on the unit. Once its working, its working and adjustments to rules and policies are easy.

Other Solutions Considered

No, we had a good relationship with Sophos and after comparing it to our previous solution (SonicWall) we were convinced it was a good product.

Other Advice

If you are a IT Consultant shop, become a partner and do the training.

If you are the IT of a company, you can either get a IT Service company to set the unit up for you or if you are confident with firewalls you can purchase premium support to get assistance for troubleshooting purposes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a business partner with Sophos