Sophos UTM Review

RED appliances and APs make a difference, however, performance is suffering under high traffic usage.

Valuable Features

I think the RED appliances and APs make a difference, and add value to Sophos. Also, it is easy to configure, robust and is a stable appliance. The licensing is great, because you don't have to pay the same license fee for a standby appliance.

Improvements to My Organization

Actually, we were not used to firewalls in our organization, but I was working at a distributor previously so I had a chance to do many demos. The customers like its GUI because it's easy to manage and RED takes attention of the customer which has distributed locations like shops, cafes, fast food stores etc.

Room for Improvement

They should have more powerful appliances. The appliances throughput and performance is suffering under high traffic usage. Also, I think they need better appliances for enterprise and high end customers.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

Because we have local laws about logging, we had to get permission to develop a logging mechanism. Also, we had lots of requests to improve URL filtering categories.

I had an issue with transparent mode in a demo, but mostly it is a very stable appliance and software.

Sophos has a sizing guide which is a great during the planning phase in ensuring you are getting the sizing right. I have used it many times when I preparing customer demands. I haven't had any problems yet.

I was working with Sophos' Germany office, and they always supported me. It was really great working with them.

They're 6/10. I had many cases, but they don't like to do a remote session immediately. To be honest, I have worked with better support teams from other vendors,.

It is very easy.

Implementation Team

I implemented it but got help from the vendor when I got stuck wit something. They are great.

Other Advice

It is great solution for customers who have small, branch offices. I would advise you get Sophos for distributed locations (with RED and APs).

2 Comments
PatrikSUser

Hi, this article doesn´t say which models (RED10 or RED 50 ) are in place? Nothing about your internet connection & speeds (central, branch)
I think it is all about proper sizing. RED concept actually works great but remote office´s Internet speed for download is limited to a central´s (HQ) speed for Upload - should be symmetric 100/100 (if possible.)

Greets,

PS

30 April 15
Network Solutions Engineer at a tech services companyReal User

I agree with Patrik. Specially SG series devices running on Sophos UTM 9.3 are amazingly performing devices. If they are correctly sized and scoped, I gurantee they match even out perform many of their competition. They offer 360 degree Security peace of mind. Still though, my favaroutes are WatchGuard M series UTMs for SMBs.
Regards,