Sophos UTM Review

The reliability of the equipment makes it possible to provide stable connections but IPSEC site-to-site VPN connectivity needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Usability
  • Number of features that fully cover goals
  • Perfect support
  • Possibility to get “under the hood”

How has it helped my organization?

The Sophos solution provides a branch to head office distributed network for a construction company across New Zealand, and the reliability of the equipment makes it possible to provide stable connections and is easy to implement and support.

What needs improvement?

Would be great if it would be possible to improve IPSEC site-to-site VPN connectivity over slow/unstable internet connections.

This particular configuration has been in use for about two and a half years.

No issues encountered.

Very rare cases of appliance lost admin password or web-service hangs.

No issues encountered.

Since I’m an engineer, I probably cannot evaluate this aspect, however as far as I know equipment order and upgrade was always fine

4.99 out of 5 – support is very helpful, only once there were misunderstanding about licensing and number of supported Sophos WAPs and that was resolved promptly and fully.

For this project, the Sophos infrastructure has been planned and deployed from the start and there has been no need to change it

It's logically straightforward and the transparent interface made possible a quick deployment. However, a little time was needed to get familiarized with the interface.

It was implemented in house.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing is perfect, but with Sophos those are really small – sometimes it is incorrect firmware upgrade paths, or rare log in problems (device forgetting admin password). All those though can be fixed, there is plenty information in the Internet and support is usually awesome. Also, you need to plan the solution and costs involved, while having in mind potential growth of users/connections; e.g. creating virtual appliances and allocating resources (RAM, CPU, NICs) minding potential workload.

9 virtual appliance (firmware v9.310-11), SUM4 virtual appliance (firmware v4.300-4), ASG120 (firmware v9.310-11)
More Sophos UTM reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Meraki MX
Learn what your peers think about Sophos UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,655 professionals have used our research since 2012.