Sophos UTM Review

I know I am secure against threats from the internet

What is most valuable?

The IPS and endpoint protection function.

A standard Firewall of an access router, monitoring up to OSI level 4, is unacceptable anymore these days. The endpoint protection solution is integrated, thus running along with the notification function.

How has it helped my organization?

All the necessary functions being incorporated into one solution with notifications configured, I know I am secure against threats from the internet. (Up to the limits of the solution in the constantly evolving and dangerous Internet).

What needs improvement?

• A cleaning up function to remove unused references.
  • A dashboard to show that the various parts of the solution really do their tasks and not only have been activated or configured (e.g., From the live log of the IPS function it is difficult to understand if the solution (snort) is running or experiences a problem and has stopped working.
  • The possibility to add the sandbox (and possible future) function, paid for, to the free Home version.

I've used this solution for three years.

Some with the IPS function (snort).

In my case, when restarting the system (because of an update), I doubt that snort starts correctly and do a manual restart of the IPS function (see my answer for 'Room for Improvement').

No, I use the solution in a VMware environment with Intel Network interface cards.

As a free home user, I have not used the support services up until now.

Once, I did upload an Office document that appeared to give a false positive, but never got a notification. I understand this because of the priorities that have to be given, but I would have liked to receive a (even small) reaction.

I did take a look at other open source solutions, but found the Sophos UTM, being the best professional free for Home UTM solutions, full blown, and updated daily, to be the best solution.

The setup wizard provided me with just enough insight into the basics of the solution -- to be able to start using the solution fully after some self-study and exploration of the various knowledge bases and forums.

I looked at some open source variants but being able to use the best professional (free for the home version) product with regular updates -- convinced me to use the Sophos UTM solution at Home.

The instability and best effort service of a community of the open source solution did not give the right trust to depend on in the battle against the negative sides of the worldwide internet

What other advice do I have?

Start simple and step-by-step, and start using the product fully.

1 visitor found this review helpful