What is our primary use case?
- Providing the firewall to my small business office. We run it on a fanless PC and a supporting 50Mb/s VDSL connection.
- Supports 10 devices and has 40 rules.
- Using UTM and IPS extensively.
What is most valuable?
- Using the Home version to help Sophos develop the XG. I have not used the earlier UTM, which colleagues have recommended.
- The UTM features are reasonably strong and the patterns are updated on a regular basis
- Supports all the traditional firewall components
How has it helped my organization?
What needs improvement?
- The lack of import/export functions for network and service options drives me mad.
- No route to NULL
- No Dshield.org integration
For how long have I used the solution?
One to three years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
How are customer service and technical support?
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Originally Cisco 871 IOS IP Advanced Security, then Juniper SSG20, which was getting old and service contracts were too expensive.
How was the initial setup?
Slow because of GUI and lack of .csv style object import.
What about the implementation team?
What was our ROI?
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
If you can afford it, go for a small Check Point, as it is easier to manage.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
Linux ipchains and modern equivalents.
What other advice do I have?
Takes awhile to build a comprehensive rule set because of the relatively slow Web GUI.
If you build, backup, restore and reconfig between the boxes.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?
SFVH (SFOS 17.0.1 MR-1)