Sophos UTM Review
Initial configuration was super simple. Management and monitoring have never been easier.

Primary Use Case

We have been rolling out the Sophos UTM platform to our clients over the past two years. About 80% of our managed clients have been moved to Sophos UTM. We have been migrating them mostly from SonicWall and Cisco ASA.

We do not use Sophos UTM in AWS. However, we have deployed a few Sophos XGs in an Azure environment.

Improvements to My Organization

The UTM product has definitely improved the way our organization functions. We have set a standard across clients and engineers. Everyone is trained on the product and knows how to manage the devices. UTM is probably the most complete all-in-one firewall that I have used to date. Having the UTM Manager has probably made the most impact, with over 150 firewalls in our portal, management and monitoring have never been easier.

Valuable Features

The most valuable to features are: Web Application Firewall, Sophos UTM Manager, IDS/IPS, Remote Access, and RED.

1. WAF: This is excellent for hardening web servers. The firewall will reverse proxy your web servers, eliminating the need to open ports. Instead the firewall will run an instance of Apache and proxy all traffic to and from the real web servers. (This is also handy when you have a single public IP.)
  2. SUM: The Sophos UTM Manager is a must have for any MSP. The SUM is a centralized portal for quick access to all the firewalls you manage. This also keeps track of who logs into the firewall by AD account. It is great for keeping track of a help desk, and who is making changes.
  3. IDS/IPS: General Intrusion Prevention and detection. It works very well.
  4. Remote Access: VPN access is always a need, and the UTM includes this free with all their license models. A very nice feature that I use a lot is the HTML5 portal. The portal allows you to have web-based access to resources behind the firewall. The best use for this would be when a client does not have any servers on-site. You can set up the HTML5 portal with SSH/Telnet to manage switches on-site, all done through the browser.
  5. RED: REDs simplify the setup for multi-location clients. A license is not required for a RED, and only one UTM is needed. REDs are great for mobile sites, as they can be tossed in a bag and can run off 4G/LTE. Configuration is effortless, and they create a direct tunnel back to the main office, getting you up and online in no time.

Room for Improvement

This product could use some improvement with web filtering. It takes a lot of time and effort to set up and maintain.

Use of Solution

I have never come across any major stability issues. I have seen some bugs on newer firmware releases which have only affected units configured in HA. Sophos is usually quick to fix these bugs.

You should never come across a scalability issue if you follow Sophos’ sizing guidelines. Finding this information can actually be difficult. Also, Sophos does not make it clear what they mean by “users” when you are sizing a firewall, which then leads to undersized implementations.

I am going to flat out say technical support is terrible. I will admit that it has gotten better over the past year. Previously, hold times would be 45 minutes at minimum. After the long hold times, you would receive an extremely under qualified engineer. The knowledge of engineers has definitely increased over the year and the time on hold has gone way down.

Being a Platinum level customer, I am not happy with the support.

SonicWall used to be our primary choice of firewall. I am just an engineer and I do not have control over which products we use. We started using Sophos Antivirus, then they eventually sold us on firewalls, encryption, mobile control, and a lot more of their products. The synchronized security model is really what was sold flexible to the product.

Initial configuration was super simple. I am a network engineer, so simple to me may not be simple to someone who does not understand routing and switching. When we were told we were switching to Sophos UTM, I downloaded a trial of the virtual firewall and was able to get it up and running in about an hour with no prior training. After actually going to the training courses provided by Sophos, configuration became even easier.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I am not in sales and cannot comment on this. I design and implement network configurations.

I would recommend to follow Sophos’ sizing guidelines for choosing which license and model to use. Sophos has their own way of going about this and supplies partners with all the information required. If you follow their documentation and guidelines, there should be zero questions about licensing and sizing.

Sophos also offers free training when selling their products from within the partner portal.

Other Solutions Considered

As a networking engineer, all new products in this category interest me. I find myself testing a lot of different products personally. Here at Flexible Systems, I did not try any other products prior to switching to Sophos. Since we are an MSP, we have had plenty of exposure to many brands of firewalls (Cisco ASA, SonicWall, WatchGuard, Fortinet, ADTRAN, and Edgewater). I personally would choose the Sophos UTM over any other product, including the Sophos XG platform.

Other Advice

I can’t recommend this product more!

Though, stay away from the wireless models, since you cannot put them in HA. They start to give you some weird issues once you start getting into multiple SSIDs and networks. The number one piece of advice is to read and follow the sizing guide, if you do not, you will undersize the firewall.

Just to reiterate:

• Configuration could not be made any easier.
  • The product is extremely intuitive.
  • It does not take much effort or thinking to understand how it works.

My company has rolled out devices as small as the SG 105 and as large as the SG 330. I personally have an SG 210 in my home. I have gone through all the training involved for configuration and implementation. I also use the product at home and have been extremely happy with Sophos UTM overall.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Platinum partner.