Sophos UTM Review

Good protection, scalable, easy to setup, and it has good local vendor support

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for my severs.

How has it helped my organization?

At some point in time, it seemed to be ravaging organizations around us and we couldn't definitely outrightly isolate ourselves from it. While we were attacked, I want to believe that it was solely because there was that in addition to the fact that there are triggers.

We also know very well that Sophos is proactive in monitoring and protecting against malware and brute-force attacks.

It's one of the things that it is quite good for.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ransomware protection. It is known for ransomware protection.

In terms of additional features, I'm still getting to understand more about how it works.

What needs improvement?

I'm still exploring the features and I haven't used them in totality.

I think that additional metrics features are needed to be able to monitor other areas or to monitor as much as you can, at a fine-grain resolution. This would be good. Somewhat similar to what Darktrace can do.

Proactively understand and using AI intelligence to monitor and see activities that are away from the norm and then proactively see how they can either isolate the quarantine system and inject it back into the system upon validation.

They could explore most of the products in Symantec's and Fresh Services and run from the same file to see what additional feature one is offering.

I would also like it if they could work on the price because it is expensive.

I have been using Sophos UTM for approximately three years.

I understand that it's had a couple of releases too frequently but I want to believe that it's relatively stable.

I still believe that in terms of stability, Symantec is better, so this can be improved.

Sophos UTM is quite scalable.

I haven't had any reason to contact support directly because I have MacBytes, which happens to be a local vendor that we have been using. It's been pretty good.

They are very good at supporting us technically when the need arises.

I am currently using Symantec for my own workstations and I use Sophos for my server Endpoint protection.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

The prices can be better, they could make it a lot cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

You are on the right track with Sophos UTM, but you should keep up with the trends as they become available.

I would rate Sophos UTM a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Sophos UTM reviews from users
...who compared it with Meraki MX
Learn what your peers think about Sophos UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.