Sophos Virtualization Security Review

Good MAC-based security for VPN, but client-level bandwidth allocation does not work properly

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Some people have requirements for this type of solution, such as setting up a VPN or using a remote connection. It will give them a mechanism for authentication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is MAC-based security settings available with the VPN. We are in an academic environment, and teachers want some internet access blocked, whereas the students want access to it. Using this solution allows us to set up rule-based access control.

What needs improvement?

We are unable to reliably specify bandwidth limits for particular clients, which is something that needs to be improved.

Several of our clients are having problems with the current version that did not exist in the previous version. Our advice is to not upgrade to the current version until there are new patches available.

I have been working with Sophos Virtualization Security for two years.

Technical support for this solution is nice and they have helped us.

The initial setup can be complex. There were times where we are unable to connect or get disconnected. We had to search for a while before finding the problem and it is finally working.

It will take approximately one day to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Trend Micro, Juniper and others in Virtualization Security. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.