Sophos XG Review

Stable IPS features and good technical support, but the reporting needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this firewall as part of our security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the intrusion prevention system.

What needs improvement?

The two main areas where this product needs improvement are routing and reporting.

The security can be improved, as well.

I have been using Sophos XG for more than two or three years.

Stability has not been a problem for us.

I am satisfied with the scalability.

The technical support from Sophos is excellent.

I previously used the Microsoft Firewall. It is easy to use but it doesn't the IPS and malware detection capabilities that Sophos has.

The initial setup and configuration are not difficult for somebody with firewall experience. However, for somebody who has not worked on one in the past, it will be complicated.

We had assistance with the deployment.

The price is cheaper than that of some competing vendors.

Prior to implementing Sophos, I tried using a solution by Fortinet. However, it was much more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that somebody with firewall experience handles the deployment.

Overall, I find that this is a good product. That said, there are improvements that need to be made in the routing, reporting, and security.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.