Sophos XG Review

Features a great firewall but better solutions exist regarding email security

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our main firewall. We also use it for email security purposes. Within our organization, there are roughly eight employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. As we've been using Sophos for four years now, we're very comfortable with the GUI interface. In addition, the IPS is quite good.

What needs improvement?

We recently updated our previous version; now, the security licensing fee is quite high. I don't know if it's a bug in the OS, but it's not been very stable after we upgraded to the latest version.

we have been using Sophos for XG for four years.

Sophos is quite stable.

It's not that scalable but it's good enough for us.

We are not very happy with the customer support they provide — it's quite slow.

A year ago, we contacted technical support regarding the high security licensing fees but they still haven't gotten back to us; they're still analyzing the log.

Support-wise, I would only give Sophos a rating of three to four out of ten.

For us, the installation was very straightforward. We deal with a local vendor and they guide us through the installation process. We haven't experienced any issues setting up this solution.

The price of Sophos is reasonable. It's not too expensive — I think it's worth it. Price-wise, I'd give Sophos a rating of eight out of ten.

Before Sophos, we were using Fortinet. Fortinet was also a good solution but Sophos was equipped with more features that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, I would give Sophos a rating of seven out of ten.

They need to improve their support, overall customer care, and lower the security licensing fees. If they improved these issues, I would give them a higher rating.

Before upgrading any Sophos firmware, be sure to contact the Sophos team and upgrade it according to their advice. Without their advice, I wouldn't recommend performing an upgrade.

More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.