Sophos XG Review

​The product has much potential to be one of the best on the market according to bang for bucks. But look critically to the features you want and the features that are available with this product.

What is most valuable?

Sophos RED, because this makes it very easy to deploy new sites, without the need of static IP addresses and a completely new firewall setup. The rule-based use is the same as if it were internal to the central site.

Web Protection, because this feature implements rules on user/group basis and this is done on the firewall rules itself. So it is easy to check.

Sophos Sandstorm, because it implements sandboxing so downloaded files are checked by hash or checked by unpacking it in within the Sophos Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

With its central management console, it implements an intuitive management console with change tracking. So it’s easy to see who has made changes and to keep track of changes.

What needs improvement?

Email Protection has room for improvement. It doesn’t have an intuitive rule base. I would much like it to be like the Sophos UTM software. The level of detail in the settings is much too low.

I have been personally using this product for almost two years now.

In our business, we have been using the product alongside the Sophos SG for more than a year now.

The first firmware versions were not that stable and had a lot of bugs in it. From Version SF 16 and above, the stability has improved a lot.

We didn’t encounter any issues with scalability as of yet.

Technical support, I would rate it as a six, because the technical expertise level from this product is below the level I’m used to. Also, the response times have increased since the launch of Sophos XG.

We used the Sophos UTM software. We did switch for some customers to the Sophos XG solution because of the customer’s needs.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The only downside is that a Sophos Account is necessary to activate the box. It has an intuitive setup to take care of the basic settings needed to connect to the internet.

Pricing of the hardware box is the same as Sophos UTM, but the licenses are a little more expensive. The most used license is the Enterprise Guard, it implements Network Protection and Web Protection in a bundle with support.

We evaluate other options for our customers constantly. We select the product which is best suited to the situation. We evaluate Sophos UTM, Sophos XG, and Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

The product has much potential to be one of the best on the market according to bang for bucks. But look critically to the features you want and the features that are available with this product. Don’t select this product just yet for email filtering, because it is underdeveloped.