Sophos XG Review

Cloud portal allows me to manage firewall from any location; interface is user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VPN connectivity with remote sites, as well as general IPS and IDS.

It's a satisfactory solution so far, no problems. It's very easy to use, and we have technical support for any issues, so it's quite good.

How has it helped my organization?

It's cost-effective. We are not that big a company. It gives us the features that we need.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of setting up the VPN connection.
  • The fact they have the cloud management option, I can manage it on a cloud platform. So anywhere I am, I can always manage the firewall.
  • The user interface is very user-friendly, so it's very easy for the administrator to make any policy changes.

What needs improvement?

I would like the update process to be easier, to update the firmware of the boxes. I think it's much better automatically than having to do it manually: Download the file, do network discovery. If they can make the update process much more automatic that would help.

The stability, so far, is actually quite good. I think the only issue we have had is some flapping on the connection, but it was a bug. The support is quite good, so the issue was resolved in no time at all. We have not had many issues at all. It's been working fine.

I don't think this applies in our own case because we just bought the medium-range box, so it's adequate for our needs.

It's very good, very responsive, and they resolve our issues in no time at all.

We were previously using a different solution, a Cisco ASA firewall, but it was not a next-generation of firewall, next-generation meaning it can do unified threat management. We wanted a new solution that would also give us next-generation features, like anti-malware and end-point management and the like. That informed our choice of Sophos.

When selecting a vendor, the stability of the solution and then the technical support are very important. Also, the cost-to-reward ratio, the value we get from the product compared to what we pay for it. In addition, ease of management; how easy is it to manage? If it's too complex to manage it's a problem because you don't want to spend too much time managing it.

It was completely straightforward, but our internal network is not that complex.

We evaluated Sophos vs Fortinet and Sophos vs Cisco

The cost of Sophos was more competitive compared to the rest. We also considered the management and it was easier to manage than the rest. That's how we came to our conclusion.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. I don't rate it "perfect" because it can always improve. But the features that come along with Sophos are very, very extensive. It gives me so many options, the ability to remotely manage my firewall from anywhere, given the cloud portal. The solution hasn't given us too many problems at all, and even when we did have an issue, it was resolved.

My advice is to take advantage of the trials, they have a trial on their website where you can see how the cloud management works; you can have a free account for one month and play around with it and see how easy it is to manage. That way you can know if it can handle the services you are going to require. Take advantage of training on their website as well. Check the industry ratings, they are pretty highly rated.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
MelvynLeeReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Good advice. Thanks. I am currently coparing the Sophos XG125 against the Fortigate 60E. Both close on performance and facilities but I suspect Sophos is going to be cheaper.

26 July 18