Spark SQL Review

GUI could be improved. Useful for speedily processing big data.

What is our primary use case?

We do have some use cases, like analysis and risk-based use cases, that we've provided and prepared for companies in order to evaluate, but not many. The business units have so many things that we don't know how to help formulate into another tool and utilize as a use case. They also have so many requirements and costs.

I work for a financial institution, so every solution that they need to consider has to be on-premise.

I'm actually just evaluating and up scaling my skill sets with this solution right now.

What is most valuable?

The speed of getting data, as our TBs are big and it's a lot of data.

What needs improvement?

Anything to improve the GUI would be helpful.

We have experienced a lot of issues, but nothing in the production environment.

For a couple of months. However, we have not implemented in a production environment yet.

The solution has not been implemented yet. When it is implemented into the real world and production, that is when I expect to see some challenges.

We have worked with the Cloudera support for this solution. They are average.

I have an experience with other database tools for the span of more than 10 years.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

We are also planning to use Informatica since there is a way in which you can use Spark in Informatica. You can use the Spark within Informatica because there is an an option to tie in a big data addition.

What other advice do I have?

We will have a lot of big data, which is why we need it. Otherwise, the solution is not needed. The solution really depends on the size of your data, its complexity, and the analysis that you are doing. Spark is good, but it is not mandatory.

Since I don't have experience in production with the solution, the best I can rate it now is a five (out of 10).

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More Spark SQL reviews from users
...who compared it with Apache Spark
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Informatica, VMware and others in Hadoop. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.