Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

We're now based on business drivers, goals and requirements, and linked to business and IT functions. However, modeling could be more user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

• ArchiMate - motivational modeling for requirements management
  • ArchiMate - business modeling
  • Achrimate - information system modelling
  • UML - data modeling and use case modelling
  • BPMN - business process modelling

How has it helped my organization?

It is now based on business drivers, goals and requirements, and linked to business and IT functions. This results in traceability and alignment with business objectives.

What needs improvement?

• Modeling could be more user-friendly
  • ArchiMate - support for derived relations
  • Define features and attributes as separate components
  • More flexible document generation features

I've used it for around four years.

No issues encountered.

Not in the more recent versions.

No issues encountered.

We had no issues and questions were answered satisfactorily.

We had no issues.

Before I used IBM Rational Rose. I switched because of my move from IBM to another employer.

It was straightforward. It was very easy to setup a new repository from scratch. The tool offers sufficient flexibility to alter the structure.

We've done it in-house.

The ROI is hard to express, as it's indirect and hard to quantify the benefits such as quality improvement. Based on personal productivity, the professional edition it has resulted in over an 100% ROI.

It has low license cost in comparison to other tools. The floating user license works fine for us.

Other solutions were exclude based on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Take into account it as a rather technical oriented product. It lacks a number of EA features such as ERM, PPM, APM etc. However, ArchiMate does provide some functionality in this field.

More Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect reviews from users
...who work at a Government
1 Comment

author avatarit_user274194 (Software Engineer at a engineering company with 51-200 employees)

Great Tool. Several type of modeling in one tool. And for software development, you can mostly use it from customer needs to Maintenance phase. Entreprise Architect can be used in Agile Development and CMMI environment. With SysML addition, system, hardware and software engineer can collaborate on system analysis and design. The only need is to adopt a methodology with Model-Based engineering.