Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

The underlying data model that supports the models allows exposing architecture data to people who don't need or want to see diagrams.

Valuable Features

Support for different modeling standards in one package allows to have one tool for many roles.

Improvements to My Organization

We used Sparx as a central repository for architecture models. Subsequently used on project delivery as a reference and during strategic planning.

Room for Improvement

A full SaaS version would be very helpful. Also, I would like to see more investment in Archimate notation. Right now it is still geared mostly towards UML.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five.

We had no issues deploying it.

In a database-server deployment there are performance/locking issues when multiple users make changes simultaneously. We had to establish processes to facilitate coordination of concurrent work.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

It's email only support, and they have a long turnaround.

It's very easy.

Implementation Team

We implemented it ourselves with no major problems or delays.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Value is the key driver. The product is inexpensive and offers rich functionality. They offer concurrent licensing scheme which is very attractive from cost perspective.

Other Advice

In a multiuser environment, you can't really go around the need for process to control access. Otherwise the quality of information will suffer.