Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

ArchiMate models help in the publishing of HTML models for users without Sparx.

What is most valuable?

• UML (Class diagrams, Use cases)
  • XML schemas
  • ArchiMate
  • BPMN templates

How has it helped my organization?

• Conceptual, Logical and Physical Data models transformation to database design which gave us the benefit of no hand crafting of code, and it can be published as HTML or as a Word document.
  • BPMN process models benefits us as things can be copied and pasted into PowerPoint presentations and HTML
  • ArchiMate models which helps in the publishing of HTML models for users without Sparx

What needs improvement?

Check in/check out functionality would support better team working around a common repository.

We've used it for six years.

We have no issues with the deployment.

The product has been very stable.

There have been no issues scaling it to our needs.

I have had to seek a little support from Sparx directly (licencing options) as I mostly find that forums answer my questions.

I have used more expensive modelling tools such as Rational Rose, Provision, PowerDesigner, and Visio. Sparx EA beats all of these hands down on a cost/benefit analysis.

It's very easy to set-up. A shared repository with floating licences takes more effort but is not complex.

We did it in-house and I would advise that your Spax administrator is trained.

ROI is difficult to quantify but the tool will typically pay for itself in the first project.

The cost of licensing is never an issue (circa US$199 per seat) and offers incredible value for the features it contains.

What other advice do I have?

Download a trial copy for yourself. You will need to understand UML, BPMN or ArchiMate to use the tool.