Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

Provides adaptability to the modeling needs of different departments

What is our primary use case?

Creating diagrams and sets of reusable artifacts using UML, Arhimate and other notations.

Using diagrams and artifacts to generate documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted Sparx EA more than six years ago. Before that, all models were created in MS Visio and were maintained independently without any tractability. That led to insufficient incomplete impact analysis and incomplete solutions. With Sparx EA, models became a maintainable and reusable asset of the corporation. Correct impact analysis became a matter of minutes. As a result the quality of solutions drastically improved. Not mentioning that all employees in any department can now clearly understand business processes with all related applications and infrastructure at any level.

What is most valuable?

• Great adaptability to modeling needs of all organization departments: Business, Architecture, Software Development, and Systems Support.
  • Kind of all-in-one solution (in a good meaning of it), through support for many standard modeling notations used in most of domains of the IT/IS. The list of supported notation grows constantly.
  • Effective for Enterprise, Solution, and Software architectures.
  • Ability to maintain cross-references for all models in all levels - great tractability.
  • Versioning for all elements.
  • Very attractive pricing and simple licensing model.
  • Good set of the add-ons that grow and improve.

What needs improvement?

The elements of the modeling sets can have better customization and visual representation. It would be great to have a mobile version.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

With very large projects, the loading time can become a bit longer, although not to the extent of becoming a great concern.

I would rate the level of technical support as "not bad". But I did not need to use technical support too much.

MS Visio was used for tractability and maintenance, and many other concerns, were the reasons that we switched.

The initial setup was very easy. After that, by following the best practices from the Sparx website, it is easy to organize the whole modeling process with versioning. You have the ability to reuse existing elements/projects and create customized project templates.

In my opinion, there is a great ROI on a product like this.

Pricing and licensing is very attractive, simple, and straightforward.

We evaluated other options such as Rational Software Architect, Visual Paradigm, and Altova UModel.

What other advice do I have?

Plan and organize your elements and models using the best practices from the beginning and create customized project templates. That will benefit you greatly afterwards.