Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

Supports multiple modeling languages like ArchiMate for database design

What is our primary use case?

In my company at the moment, many people have difficulty in using Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. It is not easy for someone who is not experienced with the platform. It's not the correct level for our requirements.

You cannot just open and start Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. This is the entry barrier for inexperienced users. From the perspective of inexperienced users, the product needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

It supports multiple modeling languages like ArchiMate for database design, software lifecycle visualization, and team management. Merging all of them is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is okay. I don't see anything that can be improved at the moment. For me it's perfect.

There used to be that feature in ArchiMate Modeling of Enterprise Architect called inherited relationships. The tool used to be equipped with this functionality of showing those relationships and now it's gone. It would be nice if it comes back.

I would like to see Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect more user-friendly and intuitive. This would be great. The product is okay for the experienced user, but for the entry-level people, it's somehow hard. They cannot start without one hour of introductory training.

I have been using Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect since 2004.

Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is very stable.

I had some problems in the past when we had 50 concurrent users and it was based on the Oracle database. Because it was based on the Oracle database, we had some issues with performance. I don't know if it was the problem of Enterprise Architect or the wrong setup of the Oracle database. I did encounter some issues with the installations of that site for 50 concurrent users.

Right now we are just starting. It will be probably something around 10 users but not concurrent. For concurrent users, maybe there will be around five. For the main users, it will be about 10. The others are some roles like business process modeling experts, database experts, and solutions architect. In total, there will be three types of main user roles.

With our current project, we don't need technical support. In the past, I had some experience with the technical support team. It was okay. We had some programming issues that were solved. The response time was pretty good.

Aris was our previous tool. It was not extensively used but we decided to go with Enterprise Architect. In my work, sometimes I used Aris combined with Enterprise Architect. Aris was for business processing and Enterprise Architect was for mainly IT architecture.

The initial setup of Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect for the inexperienced user is non-intuitive.

I did the setup on my own based on the knowledge of the customer organization. I was supported by the external company that is experienced with the tool. I used different models for that.

I would advise anyone to find a good partner for guiding the methodology of modeling. Maybe some technical support is required if you need the integration of your tool.

In this project, Aris was the main competition.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect an eight out of ten. It's pretty good, but it's not that intuitive for the beginner user.

1 Comment
Adriano-SimaoReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I agree. Sparx System is more friendly than ArchiMate.

03 June 19