Spiceworks Review

Monitors printers for low toner but it's not agent-based

What is our primary use case?

Spiceworks is for the IT guy that wants to monitor systems that he doesn't have a managed service partner behind him. And that's where Spiceworks has a really good place.

What is most valuable?

The nice thing about Spiceworks is always it's free. Monitoring of printers for low toner. Finding machines that have low memory or low hard disk space. This is a nice thing to have. I think it's getting better at discovering network equipment.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of disadvantages to Spiceworks because it's not an agent-based solution. So you don't get near the quality of discovery versus something that's got an agent on it. It's not really multi-tenant, in the sense that you couldn't use Spiceworks to manage multiple clients from the same console. I think if they had a paid subscription for the support it would be nice. I'd rather pay so much per asset per month to be able to pick up the phone and call them.

I have been using Spiceworks for ten years. I know it very intimately.

I think we did have some trouble, but it was not really the fault of Spiceworks. It was more the way that we reconfigured our firewalls and ports, so it couldn't discover the many things. And with all this stuff going on with ransomware and stuff like that, it's going to be challenging for all of those companies to be able to browse a network, including your network equipment, but not allowing any ports open. It's kind of difficult.

It is pretty easy to expand so it is very scalable.

That's another downside with Spiceworks. You can't really call Spiceworks. You can go to the community and you can ask questions, but you can't pick up the phone and call a number. I'd rather pay so much per asset per month to be able to pick up the phone and call them.

I looked at about 10 different systems, Lansweeper being one. SysAid, Samanage.

Very easy to setup, download the install file, it determines the IP range and away you go.

No, the last install I did of Spiceworks, which was for a customer, they're running it no problem. It's self-sufficient.

The cost could be recouped within a few months. I resolved a very critical issue a client was facing after doing a major "non-roll-back" upgrade, comparing working system vs non working systems we were able to determine the a IE patch was causing the issue and through to tool were pushed out the new update and resolved the problem within a few hours. Without SpiceWorks all 300 systems would have had to be touched.

I have used a product called SAManage and implemented it at a number of clients and it worked really well.

What other advice do I have?

So Spiceworks would have an even more market share if they had a paid subscription model because you could turn off all the advertising that pops up all the time. But I think in general, I would give it a seven on a scale of ten compared to some of the other mid-tier stuff.

More Spiceworks reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Spiceworks, Zabbix, Nagios and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.