Spiceworks Review

Great service desk with a strong community of users, but its monitoring tools could be better.

Valuable Features:

This is a great service desk product for SMB's. It's free and easy to get going so it is perfect for companies that haven't got anything in place to handle inventory and helpdesk. It is supported by a strong community of users that give you a built-in expert network and IT knowledgebase.

Room for Improvement:

I think its monitoring tools could use some improvement. Clearly it wasn't designed as a monitoring application from the start and it still seems a bit weak compared to other, more fully featured, monitoring products.
2 Comments
Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employeesVendor

To be honest I think Spiceworks is brilliant. We've been using it since 2007.

However, like you mentioned - the monitoring tools aren't great. Monitoring with spiceworks really affects the performance of its helpdesk.

There's been so many times where we have had to stop network scans from running because it was just to slow and unusable.

The only way I think spiceworks could provide a successfully monitoring feature is if spiceworks became linux based.

But overall a great helpdesk for any company especially IT Support businesses.

Wissam

06 June 13
ICT Technician at The Godolphin SchoolReal User

I agree with the comment about having to stop the network scans due to it slowing down the helpdesk side.
However since the recent update this seems to happen a lot less.

Steve