Spiceworks Review
An easy to setup and use IT inventory tracking and help desk ticketing system

Valuable Features:

SpiceWorks is an easy to install and maintain inventory and help desk system for SMBs and it's free! It provides a portal capability for users to submit tickets and FAQs. On the IT side, the ticketing system is simple to use and allows for basic time and cost tracking. The inventory system scans for hardware and software on the network and is helpful in tracking compliance and warranties. A flexible reporting system allows you to run reports on anything in the SpiceWorks database. It has remote monitors that allow you to inventory equipment in remote offices. The online SpiceWorks community is also fantastic for dealing with all sorts of IT issues.

Room for Improvement:

The help desk ticketing system is functional but fairly basic. You can close tickets but there is no way to indicate whether the issue was actually resolve or not. The hardware and software inventory is decent and doesn't require an agent but it's easy to have some applications counted several times from an inventory perspective because of versions, service packs, and updates. I would like more control over linking updates and service packs back to their parent application.

Other Advice:

When I moved from a large organization to a small SMB, I missed our tools that did IT inventory management and help desk ticketing. SpiceWorks has done an excellent job at filling that gap at a near zero cost. It's not perfect but it gives me great visibility into what's happening on the systems on my network and gives me the ability to track and report on IT-related issues. I'm very impressed with the product and highly recommend it to those that don't have a budget for IT inventory control and help desk software.
1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

Can you tell me, please, how do I configure my User Portal so users don't have to log in? Thank you.

22 July 14