Spiceworks Review

This also works as a KB and an alarm system, but I couldn't monitor our Exchange or SQL servers.

What is most valuable?

Tracking the work that has been completed.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization improved by using Spiceworks to monitor our network. It sends alerts as necessary, and allows the tracking of both open and closed tickets.

What needs improvement?

I was never able to properly get the product to monitor our Exchange server or SQL server.

I've used it for seven years.

Initially, the loading of a large network can be a little tedious, but later versions of Spiceworks have done an improved job of the installation.

I almost never experienced problems.

We haven't had problems with 70+ users.

7/10, which is good considering support is only via a forum.

7/10, and it's also via a forum.

We tried a few help desk solutions, but really appreciated the amount of effort put into Spiceworks for a free solution with occasional ads. If anything, I would say they attempt to do too much with their product.

Easy installation. The more difficult aspects are setting up all the devices and alarms, and maintaining the inventory.

In-house. It was a relatively simple installation considering it was done with only two techs over a few days.

Our time was really the only expense and the return isn't easily quantifiable. Suffice it to say it is very, very high.

Other non-descript products. Nothing that matched the ease of use of Spiceworks for free or otherwise.

If you need a help desk, just do it. This also works as a KB and an alarm system. Highly recommended.