Spiceworks Review

It provides a centralized system through which all IT requests are funnelled, with requests being auto-assigned a ticket number.

Valuable Features

• Network discovery
  • Ticketing system

Improvements to My Organization

Spiceworks provides a centralized system through which all IT requests are funnelled, with requests being auto-assigned a ticket number, thus streamlining organization and prioritization of requests. Users can track the status of their requests, leading to greater company-wide satisfaction with our IT team. Prior to roll out, IT received requests in person, via email, via phone, sticky note, etc. Now things are in one tidy place, and that has made everyone happy.

Room for Improvement

The only issue encountered was setting up the email server information. It took a little testing, but got it working in a couple of days.

Use of Solution

We've used it for less than six months.

There was an issue with the email server set-up.

There was no issue with the stability.

There was no issue with the scalability.

I haven't contacted the customer service.

I haven't needed to use the tech support.

We did not previously use a ticketing or network monitoring system. I opted for Spiceworks since the non-pro version is free, I briefly used it at a past job, and the network discovery tool is provided.

Everything was pretty straightforward aside from getting the email server settings done, since we are Google apps-centric. There are several Gmail server options to try for incoming/outgoing ports/settings/etc. and it took testing many combinations of settings before finding the best suited.

Implementation Team

I implemented it solely, in-house. I had little issue. Best advice I can give is- test, test, test!

ROI

Since the version I use is free, the ROI is excellent and I, as well as my company, are very satisfied with the results.

Other Advice

There are other free ticketing platforms available out there. Keep in mind, however, if the network discovery, inventory, of your endpoint and software is critical, then Spiceworks may be best suited for your needs.