Spiceworks Review

What is most valuable?

• Inventory
  • Ticketing

How has it helped my organization?

We use Spiceworks to inventory all of our workstations. We use a Dymo labeller to print both a bar-code and a QR code that links back to the Spiceworks URL for that device. Our techs can use the Spiceworks mobile app and their phones’ built-in camera to bring up all the details of a machine in under a minute.

What needs improvement?

The folks at Spiceworks are constantly expanding the capabilities of their product by partnering and integrating with other vendors. I would love for this trend to continue until Spiceworks has ability to act as an IDS/IPS system all in one. Alienvault alerts have recently been added that bring this vision closer to reality. I would also love to see performance monitoring (think Zabbix) capabilities as well.

We've used it for over four years.

We have no issues with the deployment.

We have no issues with the stability.

We had no issues with the scalability. As we’ve expanded, we’ve had to add additional resources to the Spiceworks VM. However, the latter is a very typical scenario when business growth causes the demands on a software application to increase.

10/10 - I haven’t had many issues over the years, but I do remember posting about having connectivity trouble with a Spiceworks remote agent. I received a timely response and the issue was ultimately resolved.

I evaluated Microsoft Service Manager and ZenDesk, but I settled on Spiceworks. The capabilities, ease of use and price point (free) made Spiceworks the obvious choice for us.

The installation was relatively straightforward. I do remember the process for adding an SSL certificate to be a little convoluted.

In house. I recommend dedicating a VM. Use standard ports, 80 and 443 for the webserver and leverage DNS to configure access to Spiceworks via a “user friendly” hostname.

ROI is almost immediate because Spiceworks is free and the only investment is time.

What other advice do I have?

The Spiceworks community is a great value add. It certainly helps our team to keep tabs on the industry as a whole. I encourage IT veterans and newbies alike to join and participate.